WEX Deal: Free Grip With Panasonic LUMIX G100 Purchase

Police hassling photographers

wsh Plus
2 39 United Kingdom
10 May 2020 12:07AM

Quote:[
household in the UK.
So, if I walk my usual 3.5 mile route every household in. the UK, am I not allowed to stop for a couple of minutes at the top of hill #1 to catch my bra which has been sent of ath, as that is technically not exercising?\
CHECK THE GUIDANCE - a copy of which has been sent to ever household in the UK.
It says when exercising "--- you should minimise time spent outside of the home.
Stopping for breath might well be a form of exercise as distinct from stopping to admire a view. Stopping to take photographs is not synonymous with minimising time spent outside of the home.

It was not so long ago that it was said on BBC Breakfast that people should take advantage of the Lockdown to take photographs of scenes that have never been seen before, and hopefully, never be seen again, ie: empty streets, empty parks etc.
Images taken during the Lockdown will go down into the history books.

What about the Duchess of Cambridge? She has a competition for photographers to take images of the Lockdown, hardly something that can really be done from the living room...

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

LenShepherd 12 4.2k United Kingdom
10 May 2020 11:12AM

Quote:

What about the Duchess of Cambridge? She has a competition for photographers to take images of the Lockdown, hardly something that can really be done from the living room...

Perhaps you are mistakenly confusing 2 separate issues.
Ignoring that a lot of photographs CAN be taken in the home (or garden) - if you are a professional photographer you can work outside your home - providing you socially distance - if photos taken for professional reasons cannot be taken from home.
Your comment might give an impression you want to fabricate excuses for not minimising time spent out outside of the home other than for work purposes.
Cephus Plus
15 2.6k England
10 May 2020 11:25AM

Quote:What about the Duchess of Cambridge? She has a competition for photographers to take images of the Lockdown, hardly something that can really be done from the living room...

Why not thats where I am!
mrswoolybill Plus
13 2.1k 2228 United Kingdom
10 May 2020 1:06PM

Quote:What about the Duchess of Cambridge? She has a competition for photographers to take images of the Lockdown, hardly something that can really be done from the living room...

What a strange thought. Surely the whole point of lockdown images is that they should reflect the experience of lockdown? Interesting ideas here.
I'm setting up to photograph a puppet on the bookshelves...
wsh Plus
2 39 United Kingdom
10 May 2020 1:21PM
If you read the criteria of the competition, perhaps some light will be shed.
saltireblue Plus
10 10.7k 62 Norway
10 May 2020 1:32PM

Quote:If you read the criteria of the competition, perhaps some light will be shed.

Details here.
wsh Plus
2 39 United Kingdom
10 May 2020 1:42PM
Perhaps I should rephrase my comment.

"hardly something that I can really do from my living room"
Cephus Plus
15 2.6k England
10 May 2020 4:15PM
Here's my entry.
27720_1589123717.jpg
mrswoolybill Plus
13 2.1k 2228 United Kingdom
10 May 2020 5:12PM

Quote:If you read the criteria of the competition, perhaps some light will be shed.

Quote:The Duchess and the National Portrait Gallery invite you to submit your own photographic portrait, taken during these extraordinary times, which responds to one of the following themes:

Helpers and Heroes
Your New Normal
Acts of Kindness

So I could photograph the volunteer who collects our prescriptions. She puts them on the doorstep, knocks, then retires to the top of the drive for a chat. All three categories would be covered. Thanks for the prompt, it's something that I now want to record.
wsh Plus
2 39 United Kingdom
2 Jun 2020 4:19PM
I have identified the two officers you spoke to on the 6th May 2020, and have viewed the body worn footage of your interaction. The officers do challenge you as to your reasons for being outside as they notice that you have stopped to take photos and question whether you are out for exercise, or solely out to take photos. I believe given the covid-19 restrictions at the time this was reasonable, and the officers do point out that there is a local park nearby where you may get some pleasant photos and combine your exercise.

With regard to the way they spoke to you, they were direct and firm which I can see may have come across as unfriendly. I do however think that they remain professional throughout.

I have made the officers line manager aware, and he has also viewed the body worn footage. As a result both officers have been spoken in order to remind them of the need to remain polite and courteous when dealing with members of the public.

Once again I am sorry that the actions of any officer gave you cause for concern, and thank you for raising this with us.

Kind Regards

THIS IS THE REPLY I HAVE RECEIVED FROM THE IOPC.

COMMENTS PLEASE....
saltireblue Plus
10 10.7k 62 Norway
2 Jun 2020 4:36PM

Quote:COMMENTS PLEASE....

You go first...
wsh Plus
2 39 United Kingdom
2 Jun 2020 8:45PM
"You go first..."

"I have identified the two officers you spoke to on the 6th May 2020, and have viewed the body worn footage of your interaction. The officers do challenge you as to your reasons for being outside as they notice that you have stopped to take photos and question whether you are out for exercise, or solely out to take photos. I believe given the covid-19 restrictions at the time this was reasonable, and the officers do point out that there is a local park nearby where you may get some pleasant photos and combine your exercise."

First of all, I was not questioned about my reasons for being outdoors. I was stopped immediately as I exited my front door and told: "You cannot carry a camera with you because stopping to take a does mean that you are no longer taking excercise."

Two officers spoke to me, but I was surrounded by many more.

The local park?
Do not joke with me! If I was to walk around that local park I would posibly be stabbed by the youths who hang around there and most certainly robbed of my camera equipment.

The park is full of drug users and dealers.

"With regard to the way they spoke to you, they were direct and firm which I can see may have come across as unfriendly. I do however think that they remain professional throughout."

It is well known that the IOPC defend officers when complaints are made about them. Search online for more information. Many videos can be seen on facebook and youtube regarding this matter.
More so, more videos can be found that police target photographers, though be wary of some of the videos that you see, as some are actually challenging the police, which is not something that I agree with..

They were more than "direct and firm". Obviously an understatement from the IOPC, but it's my word against theirs. (Again see documented info online regarding the police attitude to photographers)
(Photography is not a crime).

"I have made the officers line manager aware, and he has also viewed the body worn footage. As a result both officers have been spoken in order to remind them of the need to remain polite and courteous when dealing with members of the public."

(.both officers have been spoken to in order to remind them of the need to remain polite and courteous when dealing with members of the public.)

Does that not, in a way contradict the previous statement from the IOPC stating that "I do however think that they remain professional throughout"?

"Once again I am sorry that the actions of any officer gave you cause for concern, and thank you for raising this with us."

Finally, the apology and acceptance that the issue was raised.

It is not unlawful to carry a camera with you....

Jestertheclown 11 8.2k 253 England
2 Jun 2020 9:39PM

Quote:It is not unlawful to carry a camera with you....

No, it's not but given that there were (according to you) twenty police officers there, I doubt that your carrying a camera had much to do with their presence.
Without knowing why they were there; it had nothing to do with you and your camera, it doesn't seem unreasonable that they wanted to be rid of you a bit sharpish and whatever you might think about their attitude towards you, it's highly likely that they were even less impressed by yours.
A point that you're repeatedly overlooking.
wsh Plus
2 39 United Kingdom
2 Jun 2020 10:12PM

Quote:"No, it's not but given that there were (according to you) twenty police officers there, I doubt that your carrying a camera had much to do with their presence.
Without knowing why they were there; it had nothing to do with you and your camera, it doesn't seem unreasonable that they wanted to be rid of you a bit sharpish and whatever you might think about their attitude towards you, it's highly likely that they were even less impressed by yours.
A point that you're repeatedly overlooking."

I did say "about twenty". I didn't count them.
What were they doing here?
There were problems in the area about youths hanging around in groups not obeying social distancing.
I am 55 years old and not a member of the youth gangs.
I was alone. There were no other people in the area at the time.
My attitude was polite and friendly.
As seen on bodycams.
I am not overlooking any points.
I walked out my front door and I was immediately confronted by police telling me that it is not lawful to carry a camera.
They had nobody else to confront.
There was nobody else out there.
So, yet again, I will state that it was an inappropriate action towards an innocent member of the public and not aggravation towards the officers involved from my side. Had I thought my behaviour was inappropriate I would never have made a formal complaint.
keithh 16 25.6k 33 Wallis And Futuna
3 Jun 2020 7:23AM
Result from the IOPC based on BWV footage taken at the time versus your ‘memory’ of the event.

as for the ‘evidence’ of YouTube videos showing altercations between photographers and the Police (ignoring those who set out purposefully to engineer that encounter), well that’s nothing to with your event.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.