The Totally Tamron Website Is Back! Visit Today For All Things Tamron

Poor DAB reception

cats_123 Plus
15 4.9k 29 Northern Ireland
12 Oct 2010 7:37AM
Is anyone aware of recent changes to DAB reception?

Am in Northern Ireland and both my sets suddenly sound as though they are underwater!!! SadSad

Have had to revert to FM to get a decent signal...have tried the BBC website (I can only receive BBC DAB signals anyway) but there seems nothing on there.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Ewanneil 9 1.1k 2 Scotland
12 Oct 2010 9:41AM
Funnily enough I have also noticed poorer DAB reception in the Scottish Borders over the past week. I can still get it to be good but it is much more sensitive to location and obstruction ( just people walking about) than it ever was. Annoyingly, however, my station of choice (Radio 5 Live) only broadcasts on DAB and MW and reception on the latter is really appalling at times.

I have resorted to listening on the WWW or via my satellite set top box.
cats_123 Plus
15 4.9k 29 Northern Ireland
12 Oct 2010 10:44AM
Thanks "Ewanneil"

Just did a bit of research via Ofcoma nd got to this BBC website that will tell you which transmitter you are nearest to and whether there are any problems......
Diagnostic

ran it for my postcode and it said there was nothing wrong but BBC wasn't in control of the local muxs so denied any responsibility. There doesn't seem anywhere that you can complain about problems Sad
Ewanneil 9 1.1k 2 Scotland
12 Oct 2010 11:37AM
Hi Cats 123. Thanks for the link. I checked out my postcode and like you it says there are no problems. I'm not going to get too worried at the moment since the DAB reception is still considerably better than MW. I listen to the radio a lot so I'll keep an ear open to hear if it improves.
12 Oct 2010 12:01PM
Here in Yorks. between Leeds and York, we can get analogue Yorks ITV, and local BBC, also Tyne Tees and BBC Newcastle. No problem whatsoever.FM radio I can get various stations from all of Yorks, and also from North East England. I am not looking forward to analogue switch off. We cannot even get BBC Leeds radio on digital, and we are only about 12 miles away. DAB signals are poor at times with both tv and radio- crackling noises on sound, and sometimes the tv picture freezing. Have been told that the transmitter at Emley Moor is not working on full transmission power. A friend 100 yds from our house cannot get digital ITV Yorks, Channels 4 or 5, yet we can. I think we are being sold down the line as regards DAB.
Mstphoto 11 126 1 Scotland
12 Oct 2010 2:12PM
I bought a Pure Classic expecting great things but it only plays if its near the patio doors.
When we walk past it we lose the signal and it starts chirping.
Wish I hadn't bothered.

Mike (Aberdeen, Scotland)

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.