Christmas Prize Draw 2017

Portable appliance testing (musical equipment)

snapbandit 14 2.3k 3 Northern Ireland
3 Dec 2018 9:38AM
Hi, Does anyone have any info on getting music equipment (guitar amplifier, keyboards, effects etc.) PAT tested (I know the word 'testing' is redundant - like ATM 'machine', it just seems right to say testing after PAT!) UK in general, but any info specifically for Northern Ireland would be very helpful.

I have been dragged out of musical 'retirement' to play in the band of a local musical comedy play and some of the venues we are going to need all equipment (mains powered) to be PAT. Mainly wondering where to get it done and a rough idea of cost.

Many thanks for any replies

JoeBT

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Chrism8 12 924 22 England
3 Dec 2018 9:41AM
If you " google " Pat Testing in Northern Ireland " several companies come up for you to contact.
thewilliam2 1 1.0k
3 Dec 2018 10:48AM
I'm sure that some folk just buy the "tested" labels from an electrical wholesaler!

It's much cheaper than getting them tested but you'd be in serious trouble in the event of an incident.
3 Dec 2018 10:52AM
Cheers for the reply Chrism8, I had done that, I am mainly looking for any recomendations if anyone has had this done (I know I very badly worded the question! & did not even mention looking for recomendations!).

Thanks thewilliam2, tempting though that is & all the kit I use is reasonably new so hopefully should not be any problems (not going to use my vintage stuff on the road), I think I'd like to keep it all above board! Smile

JoeBT
thewilliam2 1 1.0k
3 Dec 2018 11:04AM
When we had our studio, the Elfin Safety laws didn't actually require us the get our kit PAT tested. A visual inspection by a "competent" person was enough.

We have a long tradition of "gold-plating" laws, just as HM government did with EU Directives, where by 2 pages from Brussels would morph into 200 pages!
Chris_L Plus
4 4.9k United Kingdom
3 Dec 2018 11:36AM
It can work out cheaper to buy one of these including the online course depending how many items you need to test and how often.

Also you can use the same gear to check stuff at venues before you risk plugging your equipment into it - for your own piece of mind / avoiding death by electrocution. Tongue

thewilliam2 1 1.0k
3 Dec 2018 12:13PM
Be very wary of on-line courses. My wife is a Reiki Master/Teacher and tells me that PI insurers won't cover people who "qualify" on-line. I imagine PAT testing is the same.

If you want to become "competent" in the use of the PAT tester, many colleges do a suitable course. My competence is based on a degree in Electrical Engineering and a few decades of experience as an engineer.
3 Dec 2018 12:20PM
probably not worth it in my case (I would only need maybe 6 or 7 items tested, including mains extention lead (which has RCD protection + I normally connect guitar wirelessly anyway so no real danger to me from faults), amp power lead, psu for effects and light/fan for music stand. cheers all for replies.
JoeBT
Jestertheclown 10 7.9k 252 England
3 Dec 2018 2:43PM
I'm qualified as a PAT tester through the school where I work and I use the specific machine that Chris had linked to.
It's very basic but adequate for most things but don't plug a computer or any EPOS gear into it.
Bear in mind that, on top of the initial outlay, it requires a compulsory annual service; about sixty quid, if there's nothing wrong with it, otherwise the testing becomes invalid.
With regard to your getting half a dozen or so items tested, I'd suggest asking around locally.
The chances are a local school or perhaps a large business will have someone like me on the payroll who'll test your gear in exchange for a drink.
Paul Morgan 17 19.3k 6 England
3 Dec 2018 3:46PM
THe are places that do pat testing but they tend to be costly,

MIght be better of finding someone that does it as a part of their job as Jester says.but then the stuff is only really covered for that person on his/her establishment, at least you will have some nice new in date green and white past stickers stuck on.
thewilliam2 1 1.0k
3 Dec 2018 4:00PM
In the event of a serious incident or injury, they're going to be looking for somebody to blame and the first port of call might well be whoever signed that "passed" sticker. This is the downside of getting a qualified tester to do the job as a "foreigner".
3 Dec 2018 4:05PM

Quote:

MIght be better of finding someone that does it as a part of their job as Jester says.but then the stuff is only really covered for that person on his/her establishment.

Why would that be?
A pass is a pass regardless of where the equipment is used.
3 Dec 2018 4:12PM

Quote:In the event of a serious incident or injury, they're going to be looking for somebody to blame and the first port of call might well be whoever signed that "passed" sticker.

They'd certainly want to see the tester's documentation, I'd imagine but provided he's done his job correctly, the tester can't be held recsponsible for what takes place once the appliance has left his charge.
It's similar in that respect to getting an MOT test on your car.
Provided all the components pass muster at the time of the test, anything that occurs later isn't the MOT tester's responsibilty.
3 Dec 2018 4:41PM
Many thanks for the info everyone, I might check out some of the 'sparks' I know who work in the local power station (used to work there myself for 35 years & still would do the odd photo/promotional shoot for them!) & I know their stuff is all tested 'in house', Had not thought of that but it could be a viable option, cheers.

JoeBT
JackAllTog Plus
9 5.3k 58 United Kingdom
3 Dec 2018 6:48PM
PAT testing is often organized by estate agents for house rental etc. Do you know any friendly ones?
Online is slightly cheaper.

PAT testing is only as good as the person doing it. I'm glad someone here is profesional as a few of those we've hired at work have missed obvious exposed wires or failing extension leads or in one case a few years ago spent over an hour under one womens desk. We asked for a replacement that time.

I do like the idea of asking to see certificates thanks.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.