Christmas Prize Draw 2017

Portable appliance testing (musical equipment)

Dave_Canon 12 1.4k United Kingdom
3 Dec 2018 7:57PM
I do the PAT testing for my camera club. As we are a society with no employees, we do not have to carry out the tests by law and nor does our insurance company require it. The insurance company just insist we take reasonable care and we think the PAT testing demonstrates this. Recently, the insurer at the hall we use has insisted on testing but no problem. Personally with many years experience in engineering, I think blindly using a PAT tester does not add much to H&S. For instance when I took over the duties, I discovered a cable which had the live and neutral reversed but had been passed by an earlier commercial PAT tester. Perhaps because the cable was fully moulded and made in a production line in a factory he assumed it must be good and did not actually test it. I have had to test several home made equipment's but have advised on improvements to enhance electrical safety and all these equipment regularly pass. Just before I took over, the club's studio lighting equipment failed new standards but models and members could have been at risk so we scrapped them all; they were very old. Ignoring H&S is a risk not worth taking.

Dave

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.