Amazon Music Unlimited Offer: 3-Months For FREE!

Portable Stools for Photographers

Dave_Canon 14 2.0k United Kingdom
17 Apr 2021 2:31PM
I have tickets for a motor Cycle Race in a couple of months and realise that I may be in one spot for some hours so wondered if a suitable light portable stool might be worth buying. Does anyone have any experiences or recommendations, please.

Dave
SlowSong Plus
12 9.6k 30 England
17 Apr 2021 5:21PM
I've got a couple of these lightweight, canvas, fold-up seats, and they come with a carry case. They're lightweight and you can sling them over your shoulder to carry. And they've got a cup holder in one of the arms. Cheap and cheerful, and better than nothing.

https://www.diy.com/departments/molloy-multicolour-metal-camping-chair/1860857_BQ.prd
saltireblue Plus
10 11.8k 75 Norway
17 Apr 2021 5:40PM
At least the one SlowSong linked to is light enough, Dave...
128530_1618677631.jpg
Jestertheclown 12 8.4k 253 England
17 Apr 2021 10:28PM
During my misspent youth, I attended (and raced at) motor racing circuits all over the country and I'd say that while a portable seat of some kind isn't a bad idea, it will only be any use if you can find somewhere flat(ish) and reasonably firm to put it on.

Otherwise, you'll spend all day straightening it up and/or pulling the ends of the legs back out of the ground.

Portable chair for tightwads.

(I've got two!)
18 Apr 2021 10:03AM
Thanks for the comments so far. I would just mention that I am not on a tight budget so do not let cost restrain any recommendations. I am also aware that a number of these "stools" do not have a problem with sinking and for some there are attachments to deal with this real potential issue. Although I initially need it for this one event, I expect to attend other events where it will also be useful.

Dave
keithh 17 25.8k 33 Wallis And Futuna
18 Apr 2021 4:19PM
pink Plus
17 6.6k 8 United Kingdom
20 Apr 2021 7:36AM
Walkstool is a great product, designed and made in Sweden, they have 3 legs and pack away really small and light. You can also get a base to add stability at the ground level which helps with the sinking problem.
I have one and it is always on the side of my camera rucksack, perfect whilst waiting for the dawn light.
Not cheap but you get what you pay for.
24 Apr 2021 10:25AM
Thank you for the walkstool Ian - as someone who frequently needs to sit to rest my back - I sent for one and a) it is not too heavy for me to carry, and b) extremely comfortable and feels very safe. I think I may soon be able to venture back outside into the big outdoors. Second vaccination next week so probably as safe as I can be. Many, many thanks. And also for Dave for asking the question.
24 Apr 2021 2:37PM
Thanks for the suggestions. While I have not taken a final decision, I am tempted by the GEERTOP. The Walkstools are highly recommended but I do think I would benefit from a chair with a back. A friend recommended one that you have to assemble each time you use so not so attractive.

Dave

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.