Portable Storage - Which to choose

csurry 17 9.2k 92
10 Apr 2009 3:59PM
Wasn't too bad, but then I don't do a lot of adjustments. I have pretty much a preset routine which I apply regardless and only look deeper if printing or sending off to a magazine.

The last two PAs in my portfolio were edited on the netbook whilst I was away and no one seems to have complained Smile

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Chrism8 13 931 26 England
10 Apr 2009 4:07PM
OK, thank for the info.

Chris
Nick_w Plus
12 4.3k 99 England
10 Apr 2009 4:26PM
What do you use on the Netbook for processing Cheryl? Will Captureone and CS2 run OK?
Krakman 13 3.6k Scotland
10 Apr 2009 4:58PM

Quote:I think on balance, I will just buy a few 4 gig SD cards. Much less space, much less dosh!

It may be less space, but it's not less dosh. 4GB compactflash cards are around the 55 mark at the moment, so you could only get about 5 for the cost of a netbook. It's possible to find cards cheaper, but you're still not going to get more than about 7 maximum - or a total of 28 GB. And then you have no way of backing them up, so it's very risky. With a netbook you can buy a portable external drive very cheaply to back up onto - I got a 320GB Western Digital one for less than 50 - about 100x cheaper per GB than a compactflash card.

Edit: just realised you were talking about SD cards, not compactflash cards, which are a bit cheaper. On the other hand, SD cards are very bad at failing, where compactflash cards seem to be a bit more secure.
tomcat 14 6.4k 15 United Kingdom
10 Apr 2009 5:37PM
At least I have managed to get the Vista on PC talking to the XP on the Netbook Wink

Adrian
tomcat 14 6.4k 15 United Kingdom
10 Apr 2009 5:44PM

Quote:and you don't get a scroll bar.

Are you talking specifically about CS or in general, Cheryl ?
The reason I ask is that I have installed ACD(for viewing purposes) on mine and I have vertical & horizontal scrolls

Adrian
PaulStephen 10 18
15 Apr 2009 12:48PM
Another way to store photos is to use an ipod if you have one. You need to buy the camera adapter for about 20. My ipod usually has around 20GB spare so is handy for transfering RAW pics whilst away. Although the process can take a while.
LenShepherd 11 4.0k United Kingdom
15 Apr 2009 10:53PM
If you already have a lap top most airlines let you take it free as an extra piece of hand luggage.
With this in mind I have a Tough Drive I take to remote locations and a second hard drive at home - so I can back up to more than 1 place.
Portable hard drives cost peanuts compared to what I paid 15 months ago and once backed up you can quickly check you have images on the lap top and on the separate drive.
Krakman 13 3.6k Scotland
15 Apr 2009 11:01PM

Quote:If you already have a lap top most airlines let you take it free as an extra piece of hand luggage.

A year or so ago this was true, but not any more they don't! If you carry a laptop separately, it counts as your one and only piece of hand luggage. I'd be interested to hear about exceptions to this - there may be some - but none that I've come across, at least flying out of the UK.

Edit: I see that British Airways now allow you a separate laptop bag. But budget airlines like Ryanair, Easyjet etc. don't. It used to be that you could carry a separate laptop bag when taking flights into the UK, but not when flying out of the UK, which was incredibly confusing. And each airline changes its rules fairly regularly. You need to check for each flight.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.