GB Sports Photographer & The Panasonic LUMIX S1

Portable Storage Device

yokolok 12 5 United Kingdom
6 Jan 2011 2:02PM
hi!

can anyone recommend a good, reliable but cheap portable storage device? i have one right now but found it can read most except SDHC memory cards.

Am not a pro so Epson, with it's high price is out of the question. Actually need out when out on a trip to serve as backup...if it comes with a viewer, it would nice...

hate bringing a laptop or netbook around since it is a hassle lugging it around and of course having to go through all those security checks at the airport!

Unless someone has a solution for this?

thanks!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JackAllTog Plus
10 5.7k 58 United Kingdom
6 Jan 2011 2:13PM
What a good idea, a portable (battery powered?) device to take a 2nd copy of all your images or allow you to reuse you SD cards after moving your images to the backup device. I could make a backup on location.
Sorry no idea on the device's available and a quick google did not find one either :-(
looboss 12 3.1k 7 United Kingdom
6 Jan 2011 2:18PM
There are several options but all I think quite expensive, let google be your friend Wink
6 Jan 2011 2:33PM
@looboss - google has only turned up the epson p5000 which i think has been discontinued...the new model is P7000 priced in the high us$700s...Smile..thanks...

@jackalltog - yes there are some that are battery powered, rechargeable too...Smile
looboss 12 3.1k 7 United Kingdom
6 Jan 2011 2:45PM
I just looked and found quite few ???

If you have an Apple iPod or other MP3 player with a photo viewer, this can also be used to store and view your photos on the move.

Number of Jpeg photos which fit on a 1GB capacity memory card
Image resolution 2Mp 3Mp 4Mp 5Mp 6Mp 7Mp 8Mp
Jpeg photos 1140 850 510 410 320 260 230
lobsterboy Plus
15 14.9k 13 United Kingdom
6 Jan 2011 2:54PM
last time this came up a lot of people were recommending a Netbook instead of a dedicated device.
6 Jan 2011 3:11PM
@looboss - oh okay...actually the one i'm looking for have built in card readers...so you can transfer the files directly from your memory card to the portable storage device without need of a laptop or netbook...Grin

with this you would not need to have so many memory cards on hand, especially if you travel out of the country...Smile
BubbaG2000 12 767 1
6 Jan 2011 3:27PM
I think you're on the right track with the Epson photo viewers... but unfortunately price is a factor.

If you hate laptops then maybe you can purchase a cheap tablet (maybe the Android route) and an external portable hard drive? That way you have a wee screen to flick through the pics.

Suprisingly few options!!!
whipspeed 15 4.2k 22 United Kingdom
6 Jan 2011 3:36PM
I have to say I wouldn't recommend the epson viewers. I had one a while ago and it was returned to epson twice as it stopped working, so in the 6 months I owned it, I only had it at home for 1 of them and it was returned for a refund. I've bought more memory cards instead.
chalkhillblue 11 164 2 United Kingdom
6 Jan 2011 3:46PM
www.jobo.com have a range in their GIGA Vu Sonic products.

David
LenShepherd 11 4.0k United Kingdom
6 Jan 2011 4:54PM

Quote:Www.jobo.com have a range in their GIGA Vu Sonic products.
David

I have used the Jobo for just over a year - with no problems.
They have a decent screen with a zoom facility.
The initial reason was for a 3 week African safari as back up in case the lap top got damaged or stolen. Interestingly 2 pros on the trip were using 2 Epson as "belt and braces".
I now take the Jobo for "wilderness trips" and download my cards each day.
These devices are not cheap - but they do download for days without recharging.
7 Jan 2011 1:23PM
@bubbag2000 - thanks for the tip...that might be an option with all the new tablets coming out in the market now...and my old portable storage device can act as the external HD...

@whipspeed - thanks for the feedback on the epsons...it's hard if it's a hit or miss thing...

@chalkhillblue - thanks for the link. seems like they'v got a good lineup to choose from!

@leoshepherd - thanks for the feedback/review!
Stubill 11 107 England
7 Jan 2011 2:35PM
What about a second hand Archos media player ? You would be able to pick them for peanuts I would imagine, and they mostly have SD card slots. You won't be able to view RAW files (jpeg's will be OK) but it will work fine purely as a back up.

I have a little 10 year old Archos Gmini 20GB which has a CF card slot Grin
I can suck 4GB of RAW files off a CF in a few minutes.
It sits nicely in my camera bag and I wouldn't part with it for anything Wink
Stu
coliwolii 10 69 United Kingdom
7 Jan 2011 9:58PM
You could try looking at the "XS-Drivesmart" or the "Camera Buddy"range of portable storage. They do not include a viewer but you can get 320 GB for around 150 or 80 GB for around 75.
See "storage depot" (website) or do a Google.
MeanGreeny 14 3.7k England
8 Jan 2011 11:33AM
You could buy an awful lot of storage cards for the price of a backup device. Why not just change regularly and put them away in a card safe ?

Not a backup - but any losses would be minimal

Just a thought

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.