Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

USA Landscape Photographer of the Year 2016 open to entries NOW!

Portable Storage Drives

mikephoto 2 7 Wales
11 Apr 2014 9:43AM
Can anyone help, I am looking for a Portable Storage Device so I can copy my Flashcards whilst in 'the field'. I have a Nikon Dreamweaver which has been brilliant and provides a screen too. I know Job used to do one as did Epson but they do not appear available now. I am paranoid about losing images whilst away on a shoot, I can take my Pro Book but it is quite heavy and just another target for theft so I would prefer a Storage Device I can put in my pocket. Does anyone have any knowledge of any current models ?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikephoto 2 7 Wales
11 Apr 2014 10:05AM
Apologies my current and old device is a Nikon Coolwalker ! Where I got Dreamweaver from I have no idea !
MikeRC Plus
11 3.6k United Kingdom
11 Apr 2014 10:30AM
Hi Mike....I have an Epson P-2000 which has seen very little use.

It is indistinguishable from new....I only used it for 2 holidays.
It's got a 3" screen and comes boxed with a stand/case etc...I'll take 100 for it,.

I'm hoping to be in Chester sometime in the next couple of weeks so if you were anywhere near you could have a look at it for nothing.

...cheers.....Mike
mikehit 7 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
11 Apr 2014 1:19PM
I have a P-3000 that does not support my new camera - what camera do you have? If MikeRCs P-2000 does not support it please let me know (I'm in Manchester so can also meet up.
rogerfry Plus
10 543 United Kingdom
11 Apr 2014 1:29PM
I don't know how much you're prepared to spend, but these units are excellent.

I've been using the previous version of this for a few years, and have no hesitation in recommending them. They take standard 2.5" drives which are replaceable, so if you ever managed to fill it up you can fit a new drive and store the old one if you want to archive your files.

Amazon also do cheaper units which you might want to look at.

(I have a suspicion that Epson p 2000 can't handle modern raw files.....you might want to check that out)
dmball 4 3 United Kingdom
11 Apr 2014 2:06PM
I use my Samsung Phone and one of these
Card Reader

It also allows me to use a WD 500GB external disk to view pictures on my Phone.

Regards
David
Hugo 11 649 United Kingdom
11 Apr 2014 4:44PM
While in India for a month I too used my Android - A Nexus 7 (100 for first version) tablet and a USB card reader. Well two actually - I just copied the files from one SD card to a second SD card. It's a bit clunky and seemed to take ages to copy so I left it before going to bed, but works. Plus you can use the tablet to email, do basic edits, GPS, maps etc.
Depends where your going - I'd never lug a laptop round India with me.
Phone with Android 4 and USB OTG will go the same thing, just smaller screen.

The Nikon/Epson devices seem to have got out of fashion. Probably better built, but they seem pricey - 300 vs 120 for the Motorola G phone.
Niknut Plus
6 1.2k 68 United Kingdom
11 Apr 2014 5:54PM
I would agree with Hugo........a small pocketable tablet (7" ??) might be the answer ?....connect the camera via a micro usb &
download the images direct to the tablet !!........Smile
mikephoto 2 7 Wales
11 Apr 2014 10:49PM
Thank you all for your advice and offers I will read through fully in the morning, your help is appreciated
Mike
redsnappa 13 2.0k United Kingdom
12 Apr 2014 6:57AM
I use a netbook with Raw therapee installed.
Hugo 11 649 United Kingdom
12 Apr 2014 11:47AM

Quote:I use a netbook with Raw therapee installed.

Long term this [netbook] is probably easier. 250 or so will get you a new basic model.
While Android is pretty slick, and the Google photo editor is actually quite decent, it becomes hardwork after a while. You start to wish for a PC, it's just 'easier'..... Buttttttttt I'd never want to lug a netbook round in a backpack in hot humid India for a month. Too much weight/size.
mikephoto 2 7 Wales
12 Apr 2014 10:49PM
Just arrived back home at 1045pm will get some sleep and go through your replies am tomorrow

Once again thanks for the advice

Mike

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.