Amazon Music Unlimited Offer: 3-Months For FREE!

Portraiture is so pass

rletham 17 890 United Kingdom
26 Apr 2005 1:25AM
I think that to take good photos; you have to have a passion for the subject you are shooting. Sure it takes skill too but without the passion, the photos can come across technically fine but rather sterile. My area of interest has always been people shots and I always thought that it was a popular style on this site but last night I went to the Readers Choice pages and was surprised to find that only 4 pictures in the last hundred were people shots. Four percent? I know that landscapes have always been the most popular but I was gob smacked at how few people shots there were. Do you think its a downward trend?
conrad 16 10.9k 116
26 Apr 2005 1:37AM
I can only speak for myself, of course, Rab, but on the one hand I dont take too many people shots because Im not good at it (probably lack of experience with the subject). On the other hand, I do like a good portrait, but there arent many that I really like. Most portrait thumbnails get skipped by me, I dont even open them. But then when I do find one I really like, I will view the image, click - and if I can find anything to say, I will comment. Thats a rare occurrence with me and portraits, though, I have to admit.

Conrad
26 Apr 2005 1:39AM
My passion lies in people too but I've been trying other things recently in an attempt to try and understand different aspects of photography. I could be wrong but I dont think you can really appreciate the skill involved in some subjects unless you try them. But I have noticed a downward trend in portraits on the site, it seems to have shifted towards nature. I'd love to do more people and am looking at a project at the moment but its going to take some time and organisation.
kit-monster 17 3.7k 2 Singapore
26 Apr 2005 1:44AM
Totally agree with you about passion - that's what staggers me about some pro's who cover so many styles.

With people shots, human instinct kicks in. Our minds can process a face at lightning speed and decide almost immediately what we think about the person. And pure physical attraction does play a part. There are more males on this site than females and female shots are more popular than male, to use a blunt example. So, before any thought about the technical merit of the shot, it's overall aesthetics etc., we've already subconsciously made up our minds about whether we like the subject. With experience, this can be over come but with the average epz clicker and size of the gallery, decision to click are probably made in the same few seconds, the mind is deciding about whether it likes the subject.

Secondly, people comment on areas they know. Landscapes are generally accessible to all, where as portraits are a little harder. I would love to do more portraiture but don't have access to models in the way I do to my local woods and fields. I can stop off on the way home and shoot landscapes with out any prep other than having my kit with me. The percentage of people who have access to models and a studio on this site are probably 4 in 100 . . .

Anyway, if you want an RC for portrait, make sure she's not wearing anything . . .
keithh 17 25.8k 33 Wallis And Futuna
26 Apr 2005 1:45AM
Maybe it's time for the portraitists to revolt, up their game...shock us, make us think, force us to look.

(just a thought)
Wink
26 Apr 2005 1:50AM

Quote:Maybe it's time for the portraitists to revolt, up their game...shock us, make us think, force us to look.

(just a thought)
Wink

I think you are maybe right Keith. Unfortunately, it's "safe, middle of the road" stuff that tends to get the most interest. I do like to try be a little different (maybe not sucessfully) but when you do, people are not sure what to think so rather than discuss, they just move on to the next pic.
Kris_Dutson 18 8.2k 1 England
26 Apr 2005 2:05AM
Well I reckon your work could tip the balnce again Rab - you've certainly got me hooked with your Boris Vallejo style. And I do like a nice gritty B&W portrait too.

It's the Laura Ashley chintzy stuff that turns me off, which is what maybe a lot of people associate with portrait work. The nice family album pic of mum, dad and the kids against a marbled paper background, really doesn't do it for me.

Now where can I get one of those outfits your model has, for my due baby? Wink

Kris.
Boyd 17 11.2k 11 Wales
26 Apr 2005 2:09AM

Quote:Now where can I get one of those outfits your model has

I think she borrowed it from Rab :o)
26 Apr 2005 2:11AM
See? If that's not pushing the limits, then I don't know what is ;oP
ljesmith 16 1.1k United Kingdom
26 Apr 2005 2:12AM
People shots aren't dead, my last two posts prove that. Just when I thought the same I get more comments than I've had for ages.
keithh 17 25.8k 33 Wallis And Futuna
26 Apr 2005 2:13AM
No..that's boats, Luke...they're clickin the boat.
Wink
Kris_Dutson 18 8.2k 1 England
26 Apr 2005 2:13AM
Arghhhhhhhhhhh Boyd - don't post links like that while I'm having my tea-break, I feel quite ill now Wink

Kris.
User_Removed 19 7.3k 6 United Kingdom
26 Apr 2005 2:18AM
But somehow - it suits you!
ljesmith 16 1.1k United Kingdom
26 Apr 2005 2:19AM
Boats!!! damn, I knew it was something else.
conrad 16 10.9k 116
26 Apr 2005 2:22AM
Boats are definitely more photogenic than ironing boards...
Wink

Conrad

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.