Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

Portraiture is so pass

ljesmith 16 1.1k United Kingdom
26 Apr 2005 3:53AM
One thing I won't stop doing is putting people shots on this site. Someones got to keep doing it.
rletham 17 890 United Kingdom
26 Apr 2005 3:55AM
Don't worry Luke. Me too (my landscapes suck ;o)
u08mcb 17 5.8k
26 Apr 2005 3:56AM
By and large, people see people every day. Again by and large, they don't see stunning landscapes every day.
26 Apr 2005 3:57AM
Maybe they do, sometimes they just don't look.
Mixpix 17 1.1k England
26 Apr 2005 3:58AM
Quite agree Rab, I get bored doing the same old stuff all the time, I surprise myself sometimes, if I stuck to one subject I'd end up throwing my camera away out of shere boredom. I did feel a bit guilty shooting that shot as the guy was very seriously injured in a hit and run and as far as I know is still in intensive care but the press do it all the time so what the hell. May post it one of these days but only if the guy survives.

Mick
26 Apr 2005 4:01AM
I think that maybe the most important thing with people photography is remembering that people are real and that they deserve to have their dignity.
itinerario 17 42 Netherlands
26 Apr 2005 5:38AM
I agree that photos of people on the whole are not very popular at EPZ. It is all the more gratifying then that a large percentage of my recent people shots have made the RC gallery (few instant hits though). Of my two series of travel portraits (Siamese Portraits and Kenyan Kids) all photos have become RCs. However, it is probably no coincidence that they were presented somewhat more artistically (square format, B&W with a hint of colour) than the usual straight portrait.
takui neko 17 849 11 Spain
26 Apr 2005 9:12AM
I will continue posting portraits and people, no matter how unpopular that might be, if there is 10 people who like portraits and people and I get 5 click from them cause they like what I do, its all good to me. Smile
Its interesting though, I live in Tenerife where there is great landscapes all over, mostly sunny days and warm temperatures yet maybe cause the landscapes are everywhere, with time, I fail more and more to be interested in making images with them...its a case of "God gives bred to those who dont have teeth"
rletham 17 890 United Kingdom
26 Apr 2005 9:39AM
Me too Takui. I shoot people because that's where my passion lies. I gave up a very lucrative career in the computer games industry to earn a fraction of the money taking photographs. So I'm gonna make sure I'm enjoying it.
robadsy 16 348
26 Apr 2005 9:44AM

Quote:Post the pics you like and sod what's popular.

rab, youre a champion.

i often look in on your portfolio. i dont comment because i dont know enough technically to critique your work.

i also enjoy a few other users with predominantly portrait based portfolios (say that three times quick!) but for the same reason, i click usually without comment. maybe the odd wow or awesome! (i think you have one or two of those rab)

the quote i have used from you is basically my motto for this site. ultimately, i only have to answer to myself for the work i produce and whilst its nice to get tons of recognition, i have at times been influenced more by one or two remarks on a shot i was wrapped with than quite a few comments on a shot that i know was only so-so.

keep up the good work friend, it might be more appreciated than you realise :o)

regards, ads :o)
Tonyd3 16 1.1k 18 United Kingdom
26 Apr 2005 11:10AM
I have to agree with you "POST WHAT YOU WHAT" not whats popular, otherwise we will all be doing current trends on the site.

I do love Landscapes, Portraits and Sport which gets a very hard time on EPZ. which you can see if you look at the most viewed pages sport just 40 clicks whilst Landscapes is 116 Portraits is 65 click yes i know its not the clicks but how many time a page is opened.

All Photography is difficault even if taken in the Studio out in the landscape or at a sporting event each one needs specail talents to get the best out of the pictures we take.
mikeweeks 16 978 3 England
27 Apr 2005 4:56AM
portraits are my passion, every now and then i get one that i am really happy with. recently i received a HC for one of my portraits, John and i had never seen the term before, so was really chuffed. My real question is, what would have happened if it had received an EC? and got more exposure, there again having seen Peter's work I can respect his judgement, the clicks are not so important.

IMHO there are some really good people photographers on here, there is always a new angle to be explored, go against the flow, no robbins or sunsets, do what you want because you enjoy it.

Mike
kit-monster 17 3.7k 2 Singapore
11 May 2005 12:21PM
You want to try Architecture . . . thought I'd see what sort of reaction I get . . . flowers are safe!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.