Get 50% Off Affinity Photo Today!

Poster Prints

Phil-LS 17 632 United Kingdom
5 Sep 2005 7:16AM
I have just been asked by a friend about having a Poster Print (24x36) done of his Suzuki Bandit that i took a couple of weeks ago.

What i would like to know is has anyone got any recommendations for printers that can do this ?
Also

What File size would i need to print this size ??

The photo was taken on my 300D.

Thanks in advance

Phil
jeanie Plus
16 6.0k 6 United Kingdom
5 Sep 2005 7:20AM
I can recommend a company that will do 30x 20" poster prints amongst other things - they get mentioned on a few threads, but what the heck - here's another plug - Photobox.

Jeanie
mipettin 16 884 2 Scotland
5 Sep 2005 7:24AM
-
Hi Phil

Another vote for Photobox - their 30" by 20" prints are great. I also believe you can provide a normal sized sharpened file and they will automatically interpolate the image for you. Would welcome verification of this statement from other ePz members that have done it this way - I have personally upsized my images using step interpolation in Photoshop using a 254 dpi which is what their large format printer uses. One word of caution - the prints from Photobox can be a little dark in the shadow areas - search the forums for discussion on this aspect and the adjustment curve that some members use.

Cheers Martin
-
5 Sep 2005 7:30AM
Thanks Jeanie & Martin for your help.

I did read that Photobox can be a little on the dark side in the forum.

I just wondered if anyone had any other suggestion's
debbiehardy 16 363 United Kingdom
5 Sep 2005 7:35AM
I use Photobox, but just brighten my photos first. A good alternative is Loxley HTH, Debbie.
agoreira 17 6.0k Wales
5 Sep 2005 10:13AM
Another Photobox user!
These are quite a bit cheaper, and I've had no problems with them. Come from Germany, so take about 5 days.
http://www.pixaco.co.uk/ charge 12 for a 30x20
I remember Loxley now, that's the one that wants all your details before letting you view the price list! Pass on that!
debbiehardy 16 363 United Kingdom
5 Sep 2005 10:15AM
Prices are very reasonable, though Wink
exclusive 15 579 United Kingdom
5 Sep 2005 11:42AM
Photobox is brilliant, ive upsized D30 (3 megapixel) images working from RAw files to 12x8 prints very easily, the shadow areas are dark yes, but they aren't blotchy black with stray dots here and there but smooth transistions, they look great, but not a patch next to my Cibachromes.

may i recomend having a 25px black Keyline around the print they extending the canvas by 1inch each side, to make a good border. probably worth it.
agoreira 17 6.0k Wales
5 Sep 2005 12:25PM
"Prices are very reasonable, though Wink"

I'll never get to know, I won't be filling in personal details just to look at the price list! Wink Any amount of other printers out there, they are the only one I've come across that insist on having your details first. I'll stick with what I know.
chris.maddock 19 3.7k United Kingdom
5 Sep 2005 12:51PM
Fotango (photos.fotango.com) do 20"x30" for 9.99

Krs
Chris
6 Sep 2005 12:37AM
Thanks everyone for your info most appreciated.

Phil
milward 16 9
20 Sep 2005 7:14AM
You could try using Genie Imaging(we are an advertiser in the directory section (moderators we have permission to post this thread ask tracy)....we have been making enlargements for the lasst 20 years and are a well kept secret.

We have some great offers running just at the moment for giclee printing(pigment inkjet on photo gloss paper archival quality) and this print would cost 22.00 plus P&P.

Best open file size about 30mb

visit our site on Genie Imaging

try us out
philwig 15 817 1
20 Sep 2005 8:21AM
I've done a bunch of 30" x 20" (quaint old units) stuff from Photobox and they're very good, IMHO. These from a 1Ds.

I don't interpolate anything, but I [over]sharpen for prints. How much sharpening you do is kind of dependent upon how far away from the image you want to stand, as far as I can tell.
agoreira 17 6.0k Wales
20 Sep 2005 8:55AM
"I don't interpolate anything,"

So what size are the files, what dpi for a 30" x 20" if you don't interpolate. I had a 30" x 20" some time ago with Photobox. I was very impressed with the detail, but I cannot remember whether I interpolated or not! Wink
keithh 16 25.7k 33 Wallis And Futuna
20 Sep 2005 9:29AM
You may not interpolate....the printer does however.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.