Change gear with our partner, MPB

Posting framed prints anyone done it?

justin c 17 5.1k 36 England
25 Sep 2021 12:13PM
Hi,

I'm considering posting perhaps one or two framed prints within the UK. The frame size would either be large enough to accommodate an A4 or even an A3 print.
They would be securely packaged in an oversize external cardboard box and wrapped securely with bubble wrap, polystyrene, etc.

My question is:

1) Has anyone done this. Would you trust sending framed prints within the UK? Or is the risk of damage too high?

2) Any recommendations for decent, reasonably priced companies to use?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.
saltireblue Plus
11 12.2k 76 Norway
25 Sep 2021 1:05PM
I would use a sheet of thin foam front and back, then two thin sheets of plywood (the foam protects the frame and glass from being scratched by the ply) then bubblewrap and outer box. That way the package has an extra degree of rigidity thanks to the ply and should survive without problems.
Not UK-based so can't help on couriers/post.
25 Sep 2021 1:22PM
That's a great idea about the foam and plywood. Thanks very much SmileSmile
sherlob Plus
15 3.2k 131 United Kingdom
25 Sep 2021 2:24PM
Ive had ikea frames delivered to me by post without damage.
25 Sep 2021 3:28PM
That's encouraging to hear, thanks.
EddieAC 16 3.2k 2 United Kingdom
26 Sep 2021 8:35PM
Working for Royal Mail I have had the misfortune of handling packages that were picture frames containing broken glass. The worst I have seen was a picture frame wrapped in gift wrapping paper so the actual frame could be felt and tiny glass shards were leaking out of a tear in the wrapping.

Malc's suggestions are very good. You can also use marker pen and actually write on the packaging exactly what it is so "Picture Frame" on both sides. Then you can write "Glass Side" on the side on the front and maybe "Rear" or "Back" on the other side. As I was writing this I was considering "Back Side" but that may not be appropriate.

If sorters can see which side may be the most fragile then they can actually arrange the package in containers where other packages will not be pressing up against it. The fragile side can be placed against the side of the container which is usually rigid and will offer greater protection to the package that way.

Just a few simple steps can help get all packages to their destination undamaged and this is something that some customers do not realise at the time of posting.
26 Sep 2021 8:39PM
Thanks for the suggestions and advice. If anything the frames will be over-packaged and extra caution applied.
26 Sep 2021 8:41PM
Does anyone have any suggestions for which other companies would be worth considering? Or is Royal Mail the best choice?
26 Sep 2021 10:32PM
My personal experience of other companies is that they are very varied - that is each company is varied as to the quality of delivery. I suspect that as most of the drivers are not employees of that company that it is very much the integrity of the individual as to what happens to your parcel. I have had parcels go missing and I had some orchid plants delivered to me which in spite of all the 'this side up' and 'careful handling required' on the outside, the orchids were badly broken and the compost out of the pots when delivered. The Post Office delivery service do employ their drivers and they seem to me to be the most reliable and the best service. My only experience of trying to send a large Picture (not photograph but painting) by post is that the Post Office would not accept it as it was too large. This was some years ago so things may have changed but check before your decide.
pink Plus
18 6.8k 9 United Kingdom
27 Sep 2021 7:37AM
Consider using a high quality Acrylic instead of glass, I do this and use Royal Mail with no issues.
I always specify this at time of order and if customers want glass I reduce the price and they can source the glass locally.
27 Sep 2021 9:09AM
Thanks you Tianshi_angie and pink for your suggestions. Much appreciated.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.