Panasonic 'Nature' Competition - Win A LUMIX FZ1000 II!

Potential Shop/Gallery Sales Advise Please

martinl 15 269 2 United Kingdom
2 Mar 2006 11:28PM
I am in the process of seeing a small framing / gallery shop near to where I live. It is a suburban shop not town centre.
I have put together a portfolio of approx 35 images onto CD (to show them, not to let them have), and printed out contact sheets of the images, plus 2 /3 larger images as samples.
The shop has indicated that they would mount & frame them themselves (hence a sale for them, assuming any sales at all!!).
The question is (often asked I'm sure) is any clues as to the pricing of the prints I would supply.
I would have thought that approx 8 for an A4 print, ranging down to approx 3 for a 6 x 4.
Is this sensible?
Please feel free to advise etc.
MArtin

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

UserDeleted 16 3.6k
2 Mar 2006 11:41PM
Based on what I can see in your portfolio I would say waaay to low.

As you are not going to make anything on the mount/frame you should be looking at at least 15 for the A4 and I wouldn't even offer 6x4's.

Your work should be seen at least A4 (12x8), and probably A3 (16x12)

If you have to sell smaller then do it as postcards not framed prints.

I'm assuming that the gallery are offering to buy the prints from you which they will frame, price and sell and that there is no commission payable to them as they are controlling the price and the profit.

Mike
John_Duckett 15 386 2 Norfolk Island
3 Mar 2006 12:11AM
Martin.

I normally sell 12" x 8" prints which I mount too 16" x 12" at 40.00 each through galleries. From that they generally take 30 - 40% commission...

Hope this helps

John
mattw 15 5.2k 10 United Kingdom
3 Mar 2006 1:46AM
Hello Martin,

I think Mike (Frenche) has hit the nail on the head with reguard to pricing.

I would go with the intent of pricing between 12 to 15, then discuss their printing costs and commision, and find out if the total is a sensible selling price.

For reference, I have my images printed to 12x8 by Peak (rather than a home inkjet), which I then mount and sell for 25, although, if selling through a gallery there will obvisouly be some negoitation between what the gallery sells at, and what I take.

FYI - you work looks very good, but would go with prints of your work rather than a CD.

Mattw
PeterBee 13 35 5 United Kingdom
3 Mar 2006 2:02AM
A friend of mine has a similar arrangement with a local picture galley - He charges around 15 for an A4 print. The gallery leaves the prints amongst their unmounted stock to enable customers to choose their own mounts/frames etc.

He also sells finished (mounted and framed) prints through a local funiture store which he supplies - they retail them at 50-80 depending on size/finish and he charges the store around 50%.

He has a steady flow of sales from both sources and I have to say the quality of his work is way below yours.

Good luck, Peter
andytvcams 16 10.4k 1 United Kingdom
3 Mar 2006 3:05AM
I'm with Mike on this one,

way to low,

dont forget to take into account your time travel costs oh and of course the Tax Man.
John_Duckett 15 386 2 Norfolk Island
3 Mar 2006 3:09AM
Martin,

One more bit of advise if I may...

Whenever I take my work into a gallery I always take the actual mounted print, pre wrapped and labelled. 3 times now I've actual been able to leave work at a gallery on my 1st visit. Much better then a CD honest!

John
martinl 15 269 2 United Kingdom
3 Mar 2006 6:20AM
Thanks for this advice & help. I shall now review my pricing accordingly and see what happens.

Much appreciated.
Martin

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.