Up To 50% Off Regatta Clothing + An Extra 10% Discount With Code: MSSEXTRA10

Potential Sources for Work

keithh 17 25.8k 33 Wallis And Futuna
24 Jun 2017 5:01PM
There's more to life and photography than shooting people's front rooms. Wink

the idea that Hull is remote is a bit silly.
LenShepherd 13 4.3k United Kingdom
25 Jun 2017 11:17AM

Quote:

the idea that Hull is remote is a bit silly.

Or perhaps sensible in the context of the thread Smile
The words used were "which is relatively remote from other large population centres".
Hull is as relatively remote from other large population centres as where I live in Wensleydale, being about an hours drive and, as already mentioned, up to 100 in costs before opening the camera bag.
You have to have a good price mark up or plenty of work to justify around 100 miles and 2 hours travel time before starting work.
I appreciate some relatively high earners travel into London daily but not if earning 8 an an hour or relying on the prices paid by estate agents for the sort of photographic work done up to now,
Wensleydale is a nice place to live but not as good as several other dales for landscapes, the shops stock postcards from other pro photographers, local estate agents generally do their own photography, and with a population of about 40 a square mile mainly retired there are not many weddings.
A few start up as pros locally but soon realise there is not enough work to make a living and give up.
I suspect what the OP needs now is more photographic work nearer home with relatively low travel overheads. Without more work he cannot make a living from photography.
thewilliam2 4 1.5k United Kingdom
25 Jun 2017 12:04PM
What Len says is correct and I'd suggest the OP is very wise to look for something other than just estate agency work.

When I started as a full-time professional after redundancy from my "proper job", I did pretty much any photography that paid. I was even on the list for photographing post-mortems! Then as my business improved, I was able to do more of the work that was both enjoyable and profitable.

People keep making babies and most new parents want pictures. The single biggest boost to my new business was joining the MPA Cherubs scheme and then, when Cherubs became less profitable for me, I switched to Emma's Diary which saw me through to retirement.

Baby photography is generally local.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.