Check out the new X-Rite ColorChecker Passport Photo 2 and be in with a chance of winning one!

Pre Digital

thewilliam2 2 1.1k
10 Feb 2019 11:44PM
Phil, that pic had to be carefully compressed to fit the floppy-disk. I didn't want to give them a Syquest because it was too expensive to risk losing.

Keith, the work was done at an arts centre: one of the first in the country to have a digital darkroom.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Chris_L 5 5.0k United Kingdom
13 Feb 2019 1:54PM
Interesting to hear about the computer software and hardware being used in the film era. Where does the term airbrushing come from? I'm sure I heard about airbrushed magazine models before I had heard of Photoshop.
thewilliam2 2 1.1k
13 Feb 2019 3:24PM
Chris, an airbrush is a miniature and very precise version of the paint spray-gun that would be used for painting a car and it also needs a compressed air supply. The most famous name is de Vilbiss and the classic airbrush is about the same size as a Wacom pen.
keithh 15 25.5k 33 Wallis And Futuna
13 Feb 2019 10:45PM
Chris, it's because old black and white plates where literally airbrushed to add colour or to remove imperfections.

The same technique was also used (and still is) to apply make up, primarily in the film industry.
thewilliam2 2 1.1k
13 Feb 2019 11:19PM
In the good 'ol days of large format monochrome portrait photography, a lot of retouching was done on the negative using graphite pencils.

An airbrush is more easily used on a print. One now departed friend was a high-end retoucher and he could do almost as much manipulation as we now do in Photoshop. His pièce de résistance was a shot of a gramophone where the clients decided that they really wanted a record on the turntable and this was duly painted in. The "before" and after" shots took pride of place in his portfolio!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.