Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Preparing Image for 40" x 30" print

Philo Plus
6 99 83 England
19 Sep 2012 9:22AM
I am looking at doing a large print and would welcome some advice on anything I should do to prepare the image for printing. My image is 3458 x 2593 pixels so the first question would be: is it big enough?
Assuming it is should I be looking to resize it and perhaps apply additional sharpening?
Any pointers would be most welcome.
Many thanks in advance.

Phil

PS I will be offline for most of the day so I won't be able to respond until later this afternoon.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Quo_Vadis 4 16 United Kingdom
19 Sep 2012 9:34AM
By the time you take that up to 40x30 inches it works out to be 86.45dpi, which is a little on the low side. In my experience anything below 100dpi starts to show pixelation, so if you interpolate it up to at least that then you should be ok. Don't go over the top though because the results can look horrendous.
puertouk 5 1.1k 17 United Kingdom
19 Sep 2012 11:35AM
If you have Photoshop, you can enlarge your image pixels with virtually no loss. This is the way to do it....
Copy your background layer > Windows > Actions > Create new action > (Name) resize 110% > (Function key) F11 > Press record button > Image > Image size > (Document size) Change centimeters to percentage > Width 110 > Click OK > Click on stop recording. Now, every time you want to enlarge an image, press F11 and your image will enlarge by 10%.
If you need me to explain anything, let me know.
Stephen
collywobles 12 3.8k 10 United Kingdom
19 Sep 2012 11:44AM
Book Marking
mattw 12 5.2k 10 United Kingdom
19 Sep 2012 1:11PM
Best thing to do is to contact the company doing the printing, and ask them what is the best way to prepare your images.

I use Folioprintz, and to be honest, I just send Paul the original image, and let his RIP software upscale and sharpen for the print.
Philo Plus
6 99 83 England
19 Sep 2012 4:12PM
Thanks for the feedback, guys, I will have a look at the resizing. I will also contact the printers; that seems so obvious now!
Phil
thewilliam 8 5.8k
20 Sep 2012 10:26AM
When She-who-must-be-obeyed needed to prep a 15 x 3 foot canvas from a 12 MP camera file, she used Genuine Fractals from On One to do the enlargement. She decided on a final resolution of 180 dpi which gave a nice result. The folk at On One are great to deal with so visit their stand at FOCUS.

Don't do any sharpening until after you've made the enlargement. We always do a "small" test print - say a 16 x 12 inch - before going for any very large prints.

Before going to print, scrutinise the whole picture area at 100% magnification because it's surprising what you can miss!
Philo Plus
6 99 83 England
20 Sep 2012 3:54PM
Thanks for the advice, William, I will have another check before sending off the file.
Phil
User_Removed 12 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
20 Sep 2012 7:51PM

Quote:I just send Paul the original image, and let his RIP software upscale and sharpen for the print

I have to agree with letting the printer do the upsizing for you. Their upscaling software is obviously optimised for their print machines.

Also, I imagine that your large print will be viewed from a greater distance than you would view a regular size print from so that's going to help with the lack of pixels.
thewilliam 8 5.8k
21 Sep 2012 9:43AM
For obvious reasons, She-who-must-be-obeyed did some very careful testing before the 15 x 3 foot canvas was printed. She did a comparison of Genuine Fractals versus the printer's RIP. GF was way ahead but you'd need to buy a copy.
Philo Plus
6 99 83 England
21 Sep 2012 9:54AM
Thanks guys, in the end I just sent the image as it was and let the printers deal with upscaling. Fingers crossed it will come out just fine.
Phil
Carabosse Plus
13 40.1k 269 England
21 Sep 2012 12:51PM
Let us know how it turned out, and from what sort of distance it would normally be viewed. Smile
21 Sep 2012 5:43PM
I also have a question. Having taken images, most them straight out of the camera are around 3-4mb. After working on them in CS3 they increase in size from 5-12 mb depending on the processes used. Obviously when then uploading they take a much longer time to uplpoad especially as today I had 230 images to upload.. How do I reduce the file size, in order to keep the upload time reasonable? What effect will reducing the size of the file have on quality.

€olin Tx
User_Removed 12 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
21 Sep 2012 5:53PM
With JPEG there is a correlation between file size and quality. I use Save For Web in Photoshop and compare the original to the compressed as I slide the quality slider. Moving the slider down you can see your file size decrease, you can see the effect on the image. I find jpeg artefacts first appear on outlines and in the reds.

Have a look at the bottom of this page http://ephotopros.com/articles/article-archives/articletype/articleview/articleid/389/saving-images-for-the-web.aspx
and you can see the guy has four images compared at different qualities.

Best thing you can do is experiment with Save For Web. Make sure the first thing you do is switch from GIF to JPEG. If you have a decent PC you can ignore the warning about your files being too big for SFW
22 Sep 2012 10:18AM
Thank you Chris will do as you advise.

€olin

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.