Previewing Problem When Sharpening in PS2

bazhutton 12 25 England
22 Jan 2008 10:45AM
When I sharpen in CS2, I can see the effect-to-be on screen whilst viewing the image on 'Fit the screen'. However, when I actually apply the sharpen, the effect does not show on the image whilst viewed on 'Fit the screen'. If I switch to a 100% view, it shows the sharpen to have been applied.

When I look at my images on a computer, I think they can appear a little soft. Prints have been really nice and sharp, but it makes things a bit difficult when on-screen previews are apparantly unfaithful.

Your thoughts and comments would be very welcome.

Regards

Baz

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat 15 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
22 Jan 2008 10:55AM
Hi Baz, When your viewing in Fit Screen, What is the percentage ( size wise ) of the image....?
keithh 15 25.5k 33 Wallis And Futuna
22 Jan 2008 10:56AM
When previewing the sharpening effect on screen when the ouput is print, view at 50%.
cameracat 15 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
22 Jan 2008 10:57AM
Forget my question Baz...!

Keith has answered it in one....Smile
bazhutton 12 25 England
22 Jan 2008 12:39PM
When I preview during sharpening I tend to view at 100%, but at the end I switch to fit the screen to see the effects of the whole edit on the whole image. Why are all other edit commands viewable, but sharpening is not?

Baz
joolsb 15 27.1k 38 Switzerland
22 Jan 2008 1:07PM
Baz, to explain this you have to understand how sharpening works. What actually happens is that PS looks for edges in your image and then slightly darkens the pixels on one side of the edge and lightens those on the other.

When you decrease the magnification, PS is using a clever algorithm which throws away pixels from the view of your image (not the actual image data) in order to contract the image to fit the required magnification. Since the sharpening was applied at 100% magnification, any reduction in size will also reduce the overall effect when on-screen pixels are discarded.
bazhutton 12 25 England
22 Jan 2008 2:32PM
Thanks for taking the time to explain.

Baz

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.