Exclusive Offer - 20% Off Mitsubishi CP-M15E Printer Bundle!

Price crash on Nikon V1

Steppenwolf 9 1.2k
5 Nov 2012 1:25PM
I see that the Nikon V1 is now being offered (with 10-30 lens and bag) by WEX for 299. I know that there's a V2 on the way, but this is about one third of the original price. Nikon certainly got this wrong - both the price and the detail design.
javam 16 1.1k 19 United Kingdom
5 Nov 2012 3:33PM
I am fairly sure it has spent a fair part of the time since launch in or very near the top 10 csc sellers so not sure Nikon (or anyone else) would consider that a failure.

The price reflects it has been superseded. Older Panasonic and Olympus Pen models also had their prices slashed after the latest ones were announced. Maybe not by quite as much, but still by a significant amount.

Drop the price and clear the stocks before the new model hits the shelf, fairly standard practice.

What is more surprising is how many people were willing to pay the original asking price. The same thing is happening with the EOS-M. Despite a fairly ridiculous price tag people are still 'lining up' to buy it.

As long as people are willing to pay through the nose for the latest model as soon as it is released, all the manufacturers can get away with this incredibly cynical approach to pricing. Not just limited to camera companies of course.

Personally I wait in anticipation for the next release so I can pick up the 'hopelessly outdated and worthless' 6-12 month old model for a song.
lawbert 13 1.8k 15 England
5 Nov 2012 3:57PM

Quote:
Personally I wait in anticipation for the next release so I can pick up the 'hopelessly outdated and worthless' 6-12 month old model for a song.

I totally agree and live by this ruleSmile

The only exception I made was when I upgraded my 50d to the 7d a few months ago when Canon upgraded the firmware to give it a bit more longevity as well as thier overpricing on all new DSLR bodies and lenses....and flashes.
thewilliam 12 6.1k
5 Nov 2012 3:59PM
We had a Groupon mailing that offered a substantial discount.
Paul Morgan 19 19.5k 6 England
5 Nov 2012 6:20PM
The price has been crashed for a long time, its the only reason they have sold so well.
LenShepherd 12 4.3k United Kingdom
6 Nov 2012 8:38AM
WEX offer some customer returns at a 50% discount.
I have not checked, but this might be the returned product price.
Steppenwolf 9 1.2k
6 Nov 2012 1:21PM

Quote:WEX offer some customer returns at a 50% discount.
I have not checked, but this might be the returned product price.

No it's new stock. It's a good camera for 299.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.