Exclusive ePHOTOzine offer - 20% off Mistubishi CP-M15E Bundle!

Pricing enquiry

whipspeed 16 4.2k 22 United Kingdom
14 Nov 2008 5:45PM
I know there have been a few of these, but I'm not sure how to price this. A local portrait photographer has passed this lady to me. She is setting up a website for selling antiques and will be uploading 30 items every month and wants photographs for the website. This isn't the problem, as I've done some shots like this in the past. But I'm not sure how to price this one, the job would be going to their property once a month to photograph the next months items and the distance to travel is a round trip of 50 miles. She wants a price that includes travel, photography and sizing the shots for the website that would be the same every month. All the items will be fairly small, so no major difference each month.
Any ideas?
User_Removed 18 7.3k 6 United Kingdom
14 Nov 2008 5:52PM
For commercial work, I charge for my time not for the number of images taken or what I do with them so my approach might be to charge out according to how long (average) the job will take i.e.:

((travel + job + processing) * hourly rate)

Smile
User_Removed 16 17.9k 8 Norway
14 Nov 2008 5:56PM
As far as the travel aspect is concerned Sarah, take a peek at the Inland Revenue site; somewhere they have a tariff of mileage rates for different vehicles. The rates reflect the cost per mile to run that vehicle i.e. fuel, insurance, depreciation etc etc. It a few years ago now but I used to charge 45pence/mile. As for the rest, you seem to have that under control; the sizing issue I would arrive at the pricing as you have for the photography.

HTH's...
14 Nov 2008 7:28PM
Thank you both, Mike, that's what I would normally charge for travel and would normally do an hourly charge, so will have to work out over the weekend, how long it would take and mileage and come up with an all inclusive fee. Just need to check whether she wants shots in situ in the property looking natural or whether she wants them in a studio setting, that's the vague area.

Sarah
User_Removed 16 17.9k 8 Norway
14 Nov 2008 7:52PM
Glad you found it useful Sarah.

Go get 'em!

Wink
14 Nov 2008 8:17PM
Thanks Mike. It was nice of my local portrait tog to pass it on, but he told me he's so busy and people are purchasing so many shots there are not enough hours in the day! Which in this economic climate is surprising.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.