Get 50% Off Affinity Photo Today!

Pricing for prints

jany 17 94 United Kingdom
11 Oct 2005 1:00PM
Hi Guys,
I have been doing some comissioned work for the local community center-covering events. Now I have been asked to supply a price list of prints if any of the local O.A.P's etc want copies. How much do I charge for all sizes upto A4? Is there a standard rate? I'm not professional.
Cheers
keithh 16 25.7k 33 Wallis And Futuna
11 Oct 2005 1:04PM
No standard rate I'm afraid...and to be honest, when the words Community Centre and OAP are used in the same sentence...I would go with covering costs, enough for a drink afterwards and maybe call it 2.50 for an A4...even that may raise a few eyebrows....bluerinsed ones at that.
Boyd 17 11.2k 11 Wales
11 Oct 2005 1:04PM
work out how much each print costs you to produce, then add on the amount that you want to make.

[EDIT} Oops looks like pops beat me to it...and more eloquently put too.
agoreira 17 6.0k Wales
11 Oct 2005 1:17PM
A lady came and bought three large prints from me a while back, and after she had paid and put her cheque book firmly back in her bag, she said "I hope you don't mind, but I have to say it, you are selling far too cheaply!"Wink So I'm not really the one to advise you, but it very much depends on the quality of your work as much as anything. It's difficult to give a set price that will suit everyone. Different levels of photographers will have different prices. Not knowing your level of photography, it is hard to advise. The pros here may have some sage words though.
11 Oct 2005 1:22PM
Mmmm I guessed it wouldnt be alot, just glad for the work to get noticed really, but am I pushing 1.50 for a 6x4 to much? Also what would be an average hourly rate?
UserDeleted 17 3.6k
11 Oct 2005 1:29PM
Jany,

An hourly rate can vary due to four factors;

1) How good photographer you are
2) Where in the country you are
3) The type of work you are performing
4) How much the client is prepared to pay for the value they receive from you

In the South/South-East for social work 50-60/hour is not an uncommon figure. For an advertising job and a known photographer it could be more like 200-250/hour.

you need to work out how much you need to make from your photography - to pay yourself, pay the tax-man, the insurance company, and to buy, service and replace your kit. Compare that to others in your area offering a similar service, and quality of product and come up with a number.

Just whatever you do - don't give your time, or your product away for free. It will do you no good in the medium to long term, and it won't do the profession any good either.

HTH
Mike.
Boyd 17 11.2k 11 Wales
11 Oct 2005 1:29PM
if you sold ten 6x4's in 30 minutes at 1.50 each, you would be on 30 per hour minus costs. :o)

It's up to you - how much you would like to make against what you think you could realistically make, then balance those two out.
UserDeleted 17 3.6k
11 Oct 2005 1:36PM
Jany,

6x4" = 5 for me (in a simple folder).

But I only sell them at that if I have been paid an amount on top to take them, and I'd be reluctant to have my work purchased at that size.

Normally I wouldn't sell prints at less than 8x6" in singles and they are much more than that.

Mike.
peterjones 18 5.1k 1 United Kingdom
11 Oct 2005 1:54PM
Jany, 6.00 per 6x4 and some near me charge a lot more,I would rather do less for more if you see what I mean.

Rgds Peter.
11 Oct 2005 2:41PM
May stick at 1.50 for a 6x4 it is for o.a.p's and mum's with hoards of kids Smile to start of with. Organiser said that it may have a ripple effect , which then i could put prices up depending on event/client.
Mike, I live in cambridge but i'm not pro, would like to be!! But just wondering hourly rate for amatuers.
Shots are basically portraits, stage work etc.
klewis 16 1.9k 1 United Kingdom
11 Oct 2005 2:46PM
if you charge 1.50 now you will still be charging the same in a couple of years because no one will buy at a higher rate.
11 Oct 2005 2:48PM
so what do you suggest? slightly higher?
UserDeleted 17 3.6k
11 Oct 2005 2:50PM
Jany,

If you are charging then you are a professional (pro/semi whatever). If you shoot for fun then you are an amateur.

People will still expect a level of quality from you if you charge - the less you charge the more likely people are to niggle on price and question your quality.

And if you are charging then you still need pro-insurance for your kit, public liability, to pay tax etc...even if you are only making a few hundred pounds a year.

Mike.
UserRemoved 16 4.2k
11 Oct 2005 2:56PM
This may seem a strange comment and if it is, excuse the number of hot whiskeys consumed tonight but...

...flash + OAPs = heart failure? etc etc. 3rd party insurance is a must.

I only say it because tonight I was arranging articles to be photographed and I asked how much one of them was worth. They said 2.5k each and they are fragile!
First thought was 'Thank f**k my insurance is paid up'
11 Oct 2005 3:21PM
ok slightly worried now.. cheers joefox Sad heartattacks is all i need on a sunday, it'll put me off my roast.lol
Mike, didnt realise i needed insurance!! Or the fact I'm classed as semi pro( or whatever). Is this where things can start to get serious? Also could you help on a hourly rate?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.