Affinity Photo - professional photo editing with 50% off!

prime 300mm

NEWMANP 11 1.6k 574 United Kingdom
4 Jun 2014 12:56PM
has anyone on site tried a 300 mm Sigma f2.8 on a Nikon D300s, how does it perform in terms of grabbing focus, overall sharpness wide open and stopped down and is there much loss of quality when using the matched apo 1.4X converter.

i am considering this option instead of a second hand nikon 500mm f4 mainly due to the size and weight.

i have read good things but i like to hear other peoples views before diving in.

thanks for your help
Phil

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 5 328 United Kingdom
4 Jun 2014 1:10PM
Been using my Sigma 300 on all manner of bodies including the 300s for years.

It's a fantastic lens for the relative (to Nikon) price. Never use it wide open, so I won't bother commenting on that aspect. Used with the DG 1.4 teleconverter sharpness is excellent. With 2x not as good but stll very useable, 600 f5.6 you can't expect too much I guess.

Good combination. Heavy lens, but absolutely bulletproof build quality.

Sure you'll love it..... Sure you will already know it's a non-vr lens.
GarethRobinson 13 1.0k 2 United Kingdom
4 Jun 2014 2:24PM
check the 120-300mm it's sharp fast 2.8 and excellent with the sigma 1.4 tc, new version has os, do not stick a non sigma tc on it. some say the zoom is sharper, i know my non os version is razro sharp.
peterjones 17 4.9k 1 United Kingdom
4 Jun 2014 6:07PM
A while ago I bought a s/h Nikon 500f/4 from the redoubtable Ffordes; it is a large heavy perhaps unwieldy lens but is amazing how quickly you get used to handling it.
Frank_Reid 13 227 1 United Kingdom
11 Jun 2014 8:56AM
I had one of the first 120-300 F2.8 a very good lens however a tad on the heavy side, zoom was very stiff despite going back in to Sigma for them work on, it came back stiffer... I will also say that the 1.4 is well suited.

If you would get more use from the 120-300 then please look at it. I enjoyed using it, and was pleased with the results.

Lets us have your thoughts please

Frank

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.