Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

Print lectures

absurd 19 228 United Kingdom
23 Nov 2008 5:00PM
At our Photo Club meetings we're finding that print lectures are proving popular. The number of people attending means that quite a large proportion of the audience has difficulty seeing the prints. One suggestion is that we could project the images if the lecturer could be persuaded to provide them on disk and another is that we put a webcam on our print stand.
Has anyone in the Ephotozine community encountered this problem with print lectures and found a way to solve it that they could share, please?

Steve
bigsean 13 164 Wales
23 Nov 2008 6:29PM
I have been to a few clubs that use camcorders then a projector viewed on to a large screen. The quality is ok apart from high gloss images, they can be difficult to view for obvious reasons. I think a web cam would be low in quality but one of you member should have a camcorder, for you to try it out on
danbrann 16 640 17
23 Nov 2008 7:17PM
We have been trying a system whereby each print is photographed as soon as it goes onto the print stand then projected onto a screen behind the print stand. It shows a reasonable image but it's difficult to get the colours spot on and there is a delay whilst the image is being photographed. It also takes ages to sort out the setup. It is not a success at our club and we have gone back to the original print stand but put it in a different position then we can get about 4 rows of 15 deats. It is much better and is now the preferred way.
rowarrior 13 4.4k 9 Scotland
23 Nov 2008 7:26PM
We pin ours all round the walls as the lecture progresses, then at the end of the lecture we can all wander round and look at our leisure
Just Jas 19 26.3k 1 England
23 Nov 2008 9:36PM
What about the good old fashioned epidiascope?

Wikopedia:

Quote:The opaque projector, epidioscope, epidiascope or episcope is a device which displays opaque materials by shining a bright lamp onto the ...

We disposed of one recently, but it would project picture onto a screen.
jas
absurd 19 228 United Kingdom
23 Nov 2008 11:53PM
Thanks for the replies everyone.
We tried using a tethered SLR with the clubs computer/projector on a couple of competition nights but found it was too much bother and rather spoiled the evening which is why I wondered about a webcam.
If anyone else has any ideas, please let me know.
Steve
pennyspike 18 2.1k 29 United Kingdom
24 Nov 2008 12:11AM
If all the members produce digital images perhaps they could supply a file for simultaneous projection but it is always going to be difficult to get it right for everybody.
I've heard of several people who take opera glasses to print lectures.
psiman 17 574 Wales
24 Nov 2008 3:47PM
A recent national print exhibition night tried the video camera option and apparently it was very poor and caused a lot of complaints. On the other hand North Cheshire Photographic Society hold an interclub print competition each year with 20 or so competing clubs bringing the prints along on the night which are photographed and then projected using an LCD projector whilst the original print is judged on a light box at the front of the hall. This works very well as the audience often numbers a couple of hundred. The advantages of photographing the print itself rather than using the digital file can be that you can get an idea of the mount and print quality as well. Saying which my club hasn't tried this yet (but I'm working on it!) but we do put as many of the prints out on display as possible (though this tends to be biased to the first half's images as we have a strict 10 pm deadline to vacate our hall!)

Simon

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.