Amazon Music Unlimited Offer: 3-Months For FREE!

PRINTER RESOLUTION

bikerbob 19 182
10 Feb 2002 8:21PM
OURDO WE REALLY NEED PRINTERS WITH 2880 DPI.
I HAVE AN EPSOM 1200 THAT PRINTS AT 720DPI AND
1440 DPI I HAVE DONE THE SAME B&W PRINT AT 720 DPI AND 1440 DPI AND THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE TO THE EYE. THE PRINT SIZE WAS 14.5 INCHES X 9 INCHES ALL THAT HAPPENS IS THAT YOU USE TWICE AS MUCH INK.SO WITH A 2880 DPI PRINTER YOU WILL USE FOUR TIMES AS MUCH INK OR AM I MISSING SOMETHING.
COMMENTS WOULD BE HELPFUL.
Pete 20 18.8k 97 England
11 Feb 2002 8:58AM
When you get to this level of quality it can be difficult to see any difference on most images because the level of detail you're hoping to print was probably never captured on the camera or scanning device used to create the digital file. The 2880dpi resolution will be best measured when a high quality drum scan is being printed, and even then many of us would find it difficult to detect the subtle advantages. Most users of the 2880dpi models will run them at the 1440dpi setting off to save ink and, just as important, printing time. These sorts of things seem to happen in lots of areas dominated by male buyers - hifi cars etc. You always have hifi offering 400w per channel when the system is rarley turned up above notch 3 or 4 and cars that can do 160mpg and rarely go above 80mpg. I guess printing's could be seen as the same! What do other users of 2880dpi models think?
peterjones 19 5.1k 1 United Kingdom
16 Feb 2002 6:30PM
I often print at 720 dpi with no problems at all, I think it is all to do with the print, for example large areas of even tone e.g. blue sky may possibly be better with 1440 dpi.
Unfortunately with Lyson Inks on my old Stylus EX it appears that they MUST be printed at 1440 dpi I have tried at 720 and the quality is dreadful.
However with Epson Inks no problems with 720.
As for 2880, I think it may just be a manufacturer's ploy to either get us to use more inks or to uprate the specifications of their printer.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.