Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

Printer suggestions?

mikeweeks 16 978 3 England
23 May 2011 10:25AM
Chris,

I have done some seminars for them in the past but the comment "if however you want to talk with the dye sub suppliers that have the largest range of dye-subs on the market then the answer is Photomart" is based on fact, they are indeed the dye-sub supplier with the largest range in UK. Second would be system insight and then some bit players like Richard Frankfurt and Calumet. Happy to provide more info to substantiate.

If somebody was to contact Photomart and say that they had seen my comments here they would not get any benefits and neither would I, all I am passing on is my experience as you were.

Mike
User_Removed 17 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
23 May 2011 11:25AM
I see Mike. You clearly know your stuff, do you foresee the day when we'll all use dye sub instead of inkjet?

The technology is so much more attractive and running costs are easier to calculate and you never waste ink with blocked cartridges, nozzle cleaning etc etc. Startup costs and size limits put me off, plus it's currently a lot cheaper to nip to Asda (not as convenient of course).

What about the future?
mikeweeks 16 978 3 England
23 May 2011 12:30PM
Dye sub is used in many places for their photographs, recently Asda changed over to using DNP in most of their installations. Is a dye sub print better than an inkjet? assuming good setup I would opt for inkjet for personal use for larger prints, especially as there is no dye sub bigger than 12"x8" that you or I could buy. If you are producing hundreds of prints as I do then a dye sub is great. Personally if you only have a small of amount of prints made then a lab can work out cheaper than running an inkjet. Dye subs will never be able to match a good black and white from an inkjet on art paper so I have not ditched my inkjet and I think it unlikely that dye sub will take over from inkjet for simple reasons such as you cant print letters on a dye sub.

Mike
Daisy_intheMill 17 145 1 United Kingdom
25 May 2011 5:00PM
Thanks for all that! Looks very helpful - will read and digest at my leisure - ha - not sure when that is! Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.