Amazon Music Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Printing on tracing paper

JohnHorne 16 1.0k
27 Dec 2006 10:21AM
Has anyone tried using an inkjet printer to print onto tracing paper ?

It's an idea I have in mind for presenting some images but would like to know if anyone has any experience they can share. If it worked, what settings did you find produced the best results ? I am happy to experiment but don't want to find that the paper crumples or goes soggy and jams the printer. I use an Epson R1800.

Thanks
John
keithh 17 25.7k 33 Wallis And Futuna
27 Dec 2006 10:27AM
Go on try it.......and then let us know if it works.
Wink

If it's the see through angle you're after then over-head projection acetate gets interesting results
dcash29 15 2.4k England
27 Dec 2006 10:30AM
I'll second Keiths post, you try it John then i might have a go if your successful Wink
JohnHorne 16 1.0k
27 Dec 2006 10:35AM
I see - risk my printer and let you know if it is safe for you !

It's the translucency I'm after rather than see-through as such. However, I do have some inkjet transparency film, so my fallback plan is to print onto that and put tracing paper behind the transparency. But that will give a glossy finish and matt would better suit the images I have in mind.
User_Removed 17 17.9k 8 Norway
27 Dec 2006 10:57AM

Quote:I see - risk my printer and let you know if it is safe for you !

Duh! Yeah!!

Grin))

Seriously - this conjures up some great ideas John...

Let us know...

'-))
dcash29 15 2.4k England
27 Dec 2006 11:09AM
lol ..... John set ya printer on tranni dont use thin stuff or you'll have a big mess
kaybee Plus
16 7.6k 26 Scotland
27 Dec 2006 11:09AM

Quote:risk my printer and let you know if it is safe for you

Well you want to know if somebody else has risked it who can help you............fair is fair after all!

Seriously.....I suspect it will have the same effect as printing on the back of photographic paper - the ink will just sit on the surface and not dry
JohnHorne 16 1.0k
27 Dec 2006 11:22AM
Thanks for the encouragement !

Having searched the web I came across someone who said that they were successful with taping tracing paper to a sheet of plain paper and then printing onto it. However, he finished with an invitation to try it and let him know the result, so it didn't fill me with confidence.

It seems that there is special tracing paper for inkjet printers on the market. HP produce rolls 24 inches and 36 inches wide by 150 feet long, which is rather more than I can manage.

More useful sizes are available. For example, Ink2Paper.com offers 25 sheets of A4 from 3.50 and 25 sheets of A3 from 5.25. No brand name is given.

I was considering using the tracing paper I happen to have already, but unless anyone can reassure me from first-hand experience then I will wait until I can get hold of some paper that is designed for the purpose.

John
User_Removed 17 17.9k 8 Norway
27 Dec 2006 4:26PM
John.

This has been buried in my bookmarks for a while now John. Page down towards the bottom; there's some interesting stuff there...

(NO association here Mod's!! Grin)))

Mike
JohnHorne 16 1.0k
27 Dec 2006 4:35PM
Thanks for that Mike. I have some iron-on transfer stuff which I plan to use for presenting an image on a sheet of cotton, but I didn't know that one can buy special fabric for printing on directly. The range of products available is quite amazing !

Thanks
John
Centurion 16 1.2k England
27 Dec 2006 5:09PM
CAD designers use inkjet tracing paper for blueprints so I cant see a problem.

Gav
macroman 17 15.3k England
29 Dec 2006 5:57PM
I've printed colour overlays onto normal black & white 'silver' prints quite successfully, with some interesting results.

Getting the two images in register was a bit tricky though.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.