Prints for a competition


Strobe 12 1.3k United States
5 Jul 2009 11:53AM
Wondering if anyone could please give me some advice, I would like to enter a local amateur photography competition. This will be my first and I need to submit, A4, prints.

The problem is all my photos which I have processed I have saved the final as a 1000x1000 jpeg.

I would like to go back to the origonal RAW images and get them printed so here are my questions:

- I am planning to print mat as I have read that it produces a richer colour, would you agree with this? (these will be unframed and not be behind glass.....
- When I save the final image should it be a tiff file in the origonal size?
- Should I get them printed via the Internet or should I look for a print store (I work in London so I can try there)

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you
Marc

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Blenkinsopp 14 320 4 England
5 Jul 2009 12:03PM
I just prefer matt
I usually save processed images as highest quality jpeg
I much prefer photobox to my personal printer but bear in mind they may come out fractionaly darker than you see on your monitor.
Just MY personal opionion - you will get lots more advice
- Sandra
justin c 16 5.1k 36 England
5 Jul 2009 12:23PM

Quote:I am planning to print mat as I have read that it produces a richer colour, would you agree with this?


I believe gloss or semi gloss papers generally give the richest colours.



Quote:The problem is all my photos which I have processed I have saved the final as a 1000x1000 jpeg.


With hard drive storage space being pretty cheap nowadays I would always recommend keeping at least two versions of your images.
The original Raw file and the full resolution final edited version, saved as an unsharpened tiff or psd file, preferably in 16bits mode and with any adjustment layers intact.
An aditional 1000pxl jpeg could also be saved if desired, although it would only be a matter of seconds to re-create one from your master file.



Quote:When I save the final image should it be a tiff file in the origonal size?


Yes.
Tiff or a PSD file would be a good choice. I prefer to save my completed master files as PSD files and the unedited ones as TIFF's, it's then easy to see at a glance which images are unedited and which ones are final, completed master files.



Quote:Should I get them printed via the Internet or should I look for a print store (I work in London so I can try there)


Either reallly. Whichever one is most convenient for you.
If you have a decent printer that you can visit in person, that may be handy so you can discuss your requirements in person, if need be.


Good luck with your competition.

Justin
pennyspike 16 2.1k 29 United Kingdom
5 Jul 2009 4:40PM
I think it depends a great deal on the picture, I prefer to use matt but some images just look better with a gloss finish.
Photobox have a 10MB maximum tend to print a bit dark but have a good quick service.
If you have a good local printer they will be more expensive but probably well worth the extra.
You mention A4 prints but give a square size, is it OK to print your square pic on a sheet of A4 paper?
Good luck.
Strobe 12 1.3k United States
5 Jul 2009 7:38PM
Thanks for everyones feedback

Quote:
Photobox have a 10MB maximum tend to print a bit dark but have a good quick service.


My tiff is 24 Mb so I guess I will have to go local in London

Quote:
You mention A4 prints but give a square size, is it OK to print your square pic on a sheet of A4 paper?


thanks for that and it is a good point, I assume every thing should be stock standard and therefore A4, I prefer square and therefore will look at other sizes.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.