Regatta Offer: Save 15% With Code 15OFF

Prints Sticking To Frame Screen

Tallmanirl 7 296 Ireland
13 Sep 2021 2:26PM
Hi guys!
I was wondering if anyone else has had issues with prints sticking the screen in photo frames?
13 Sep 2021 4:06PM
Make sure you give the photos at least 24 hours to dry completely and then it shouldn't happen - but the glass should be between print and frame! I don't know how this could happen if there is glass in the frame. But the other thing is that if I frame anything I have printed then I always put a mounting board (card frame) betweem the glass and the picture, so that the actual composition of a framed image should be a layered 'sandwich' - Backboard, plain backing sheet the ame size as the backboard, Photo, Mounting card, Glass, Frame.
Tallmanirl 7 296 Ireland
13 Sep 2021 4:30PM
Thanks Tianshi!
The print came from Scotland. Should it be left unwrapped with nothing covering it for 24 hours then? It came as a package of several prints, but I could try that!

We used the mounts that came with the frames that I bought in local shops. Iím aware that prints are not supposed to touch the glass at any point but even with the mount, we have found it hard to ensure that it does not do so.

One of the issues I have is that no advice re any pitfalls or how to frame, comes with the prints, so a customer ordering online probably wouldnít know either.
pink Plus
18 6.8k 9 United Kingdom
13 Sep 2021 5:25PM
You will definitely require a card window mount, the 'mats' supplied with frames tend to be paper thickness only.
Some suppliers will cut mounts to suit, you can also buy them from Amazon/ebay ready cut.
Failing that you will need to buy some mountboard and a mountcutter, not sure if its a one-off or you intend to do more?
Ian
Tallmanirl 7 296 Ireland
13 Sep 2021 5:34PM
Thanks Ian!
Iíll probably do more! What you said about the mounts sounds spot on. Iíll definitely try the card mounts!

Tianshi, Iíll also leave the photos exposed to the air for 24 hours before doing anything with them.

Itís very strange though that the printers had never heard of this issue and the only advice they can give is not to frame them.
pink Plus
18 6.8k 9 United Kingdom
13 Sep 2021 5:37PM
Its also good practice to leave the mountboard and print together before mounting, sometimes the moisture content varies and shrinkage can be inconsistent between the differing materials, if you fix them to the board too soon the print can buckle and warp
Ian
sherlob Plus
15 3.2k 131 United Kingdom
14 Sep 2021 9:43AM
Gloss prints tend to have a very smooth surface and I find these are prone to adhering to the glass when framed. Using matt or semi-gloss finishes helps significantly - it also improves the result imho as you get less reflection. The glass (or acrylic) in the frame effectively works to give the image a glossy finish. It's also worth mentioning that prints need to be able to "breath" when framed. This means that as atmospheric changes occur the frame, mount and paper used will all expand and contract minutely. If a picture is secured all the way around when mounted any impact of this movement can lead the picture to buckle slightly (in a similar way to described by Ian above) in the frame - sometimes leading it to touch the glass. Securing the print in a way that allows for some expansion ensures the print will lay flat. Hope this makes sense!
Tallmanirl 7 296 Ireland
14 Sep 2021 10:38AM
Thanks again guys!😀

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.