Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Pro Camera Shop

lobsterboy Plus
17 14.9k 13 United Kingdom
7 Apr 2013 7:12AM
rhol2 10 369 1 United Kingdom
7 Apr 2013 9:01AM
As with a number of similar sites, there is no indication of whether the prices include VAT, so I'd assume not..

From their terms and conditions..

"Our website changes regularly.
We aim to update our website regularly, and may change the content at any time. If the need arises, we may suspend access to our website, or close it indefinitely. Any of the material on our website may be out of date at any given time, and we are under no obligation to update such material."

Is this usual for such sites?
Gundog 8 629 Scotland
7 Apr 2013 12:18PM
Maybe a danger that a new reader associates the above few postings with the subject of the thread - procamerashop.co.uk

So maybe worth emphasising that, although procamerashop.co.uk does sell "grey imports", they are perfectly legal and the prices are inclusive of VAT.

Evertonian 8 729 England
7 Apr 2013 1:19PM
I seem to remember using them some time ago and the low prices were as a result of using a debit card rayher tahn a credit card and received a further 3% discount. ie the charges usually levied on the shop for the use of a credit card are given to the purchaser as discount. If I am mistaken in m,y recolelction, I apologise. Anyway I was delighted with my purchase.
Henryf 7 1
6 Aug 2013 8:39PM
I approached ProCameraShop with a view to purchasing a Canon 70-300 L lens and a few filters.

I understand the fact that items are grey imports and that may have implications if things go wrong. Manufacturers insisting products are returned to their country of first sale.

What put me off was their response to questions on VAT. They confirmed the lens was available in the UK for delivery. I asked if a VAT invoice would be issued to be told, "we aren't VAT registered at the moment." I said that would be impossible given the requirement to register for VAT once turnover reaches 79,000 in a year. Do the maths, it would be impossible not to do that much business. His reply was, "company policy is to state we are not registered for VAT".

I am aware of a scam whereby items are brought into the UK duty free on the understanding they are going to be exported back out of Europe. They are sold to a foreign entity who sells them on to a UK buyer. Where it works really well is when the UK buyer thinks they are dealing with the UK importer, "in stock and dispatched from the UK" is a common line used.

What then happens is the UK buyer is invoiced by the foreign entity who "bought" the items from the UK importer and the foreign entity arranges delivery from within the UK. This scheme gets round the risk of punters getting lumbered for duty when their items are sent from a foreign country. The problem is the items remain duty unpaid. I believe it is called carousel fraud.

If the scam gets broken up by authorities it is conceivable that they would try to seize paperwork identifying customers so they can approach individual UK buyers for the unpaid duty, (in the same way they would if the items were shipped in from overseas).

In my case I was asked to pay money into the UK bank account of a Hong Kong based Ltd company. There was a bit of cloak & dagger antics before I was given the account details and it wasn't immediately apparent they were based in Hong Kong.

I declined to purchase and ended up buying from a UK Canon Pro dealer.
KevSB 17 1.5k 5 United Kingdom
6 Aug 2013 10:45PM

Quote:I approached ProCameraShop with a view to purchasing a Canon 70-300 L lens and a few filters.

I understand the fact that items are grey imports and that may have implications if things go wrong. Manufacturers insisting products are returned to their country of first sale.

What put me off was their response to questions on VAT. They confirmed the lens was available in the UK for delivery. I asked if a VAT invoice would be issued to be told, "we aren't VAT registered at the moment." I said that would be impossible given the requirement to register for VAT once turnover reaches 79,000 in a year. Do the maths, it would be impossible not to do that much business. His reply was, "company policy is to state we are not registered for VAT".

I am aware of a scam whereby items are brought into the UK duty free on the understanding they are going to be exported back out of Europe. They are sold to a foreign entity who sells them on to a UK buyer. Where it works really well is when the UK buyer thinks they are dealing with the UK importer, "in stock and dispatched from the UK" is a common line used.

What then happens is the UK buyer is invoiced by the foreign entity who "bought" the items from the UK importer and the foreign entity arranges delivery from within the UK. This scheme gets round the risk of punters getting lumbered for duty when their items are sent from a foreign country. The problem is the items remain duty unpaid. I believe it is called carousel fraud.

If the scam gets broken up by authorities it is conceivable that they would try to seize paperwork identifying customers so they can approach individual UK buyers for the unpaid duty, (in the same way they would if the items were shipped in from overseas).

In my case I was asked to pay money into the UK bank account of a Hong Kong based Ltd company. There was a bit of cloak & dagger antics before I was given the account details and it wasn't immediately apparent they were based in Hong Kong.

I declined to purchase and ended up buying from a UK Canon Pro dealer.

Excellent explanation of the risks involved, It should be also mentioned in the above case should you go on holiday and a serial check is made on your equipment you would be liable. A small risk but it does happen and something buyers should be aware of.
LenShepherd 13 4.4k United Kingdom
7 Aug 2013 8:12PM

Quote:Hi.
had a lens from them.
no problem at all..

Can you confirm you got a VAT invoice showing the UK VAT registration number?
If you did not, despite what you have been told, you are likely to owe customs and excise up to 27% in taxes on the lens price including shipping.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.