GB Sports Photographer & The Panasonic LUMIX S1

Problem after Adobe updated Camera Raw

Dabber 17 235 England
22 Sep 2019 5:23PM
I would appreciate some help/advice regarding a problem arising after Adobe updated my Camera Raw and Lightroom on Friday. I have tried to navigate their help system, which has left me completely nonplussed! Although I have left a message with their User group....nothing back yet.
Basically all was perfectly fine until the update, now when I open an image up the latest camera raw and do what needs to done, then try to open it up back in Photoshop CC 2019 the image ‘freezes’ immediately, then I have do Ctrl/Alt/Delete to close Camera Raw as the PC reports it not working!
Has anyone else found this problem and/or has any help or advice to offer? Or how can I get back to the previous state prior to the update?
I am running Windows 7 Pro.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Dave_Canon 13 1.6k United Kingdom
22 Sep 2019 6:01PM
Not sure I can help much. I am running the latest versions and do not have any problems right now. I am not sure why you are not processing your Raw files in LR rather than opening Raw files in PS ACR. In any case processing your Raw files in LR before opening in PS may at least keep you running until the problem is fixed.

Dave
Tianshi_angie 4 2.6k England
22 Sep 2019 7:21PM
I have had similar problems but I have found by opening all the programmes as 'Administrator' the problems disappear. I open by right clicking on the listing in the Windows lists then going to 'More' > 'Open as Administrator'. Hope it works for you.
saltireblue Plus
9 9.8k 36 Norway
22 Sep 2019 7:28PM
Similar problem since the last update, too.
(On a Mac) Click on 'open copy' to open in PS and the screen stays on ACR, repeat and it opens PS but with both attempts in the ps window.
I expect a new update will be arriving on a cloud near you soon...
22 Sep 2019 10:37PM
Interesting, I only operate as Administrator so may be there would be a problem if I used another non-Admin account.

Dave
saltireblue Plus
9 9.8k 36 Norway
23 Sep 2019 7:43AM

Quote:Interesting, I only operate as Administrator so may be there would be a problem if I used another non-Admin account.

Dave

Same for me, only operate as Admin.
Dabber 17 235 England
23 Sep 2019 10:52AM
Thank you all for submitting your thoughts.
Although I am quite proficient using Photoshop to manipulate my pictures I'm fairly rubbish with regards to computer technology.

So, can you explain, or describe how you operate as an Administrator? Maybe it's a Windows 10 thing, but I'm on Windows Pro 7.

Similarly saltireblue suggests 'click open copy' in PS Where is the 'open copy' button?

Finally, can anyone guide me through the process of contacting Adobe to report this problem, I end up going round in circles and basically give up!

Thanks again
Dabber
23 Sep 2019 11:59AM
Windows 7 will respond in exactly the same way as Windows 10. Click on the Windows icon Bottom left using the left button of your mouse (if it is normally set to using the left button i.e. I think left handed people would set the mouse to right button as it is nearer the index finger). When the list of programmes appears right click on the Photoshop listing. This will produce a further list which has three items at the top - 'Pin to start', 'More>' and 'Uninstall'. Left click on 'More>' and you will then have the choice to 'Run as Administrator' which should again be opened with a left click. Open all the Adobe programmes using this method and they will then wok together.
23 Sep 2019 12:05PM
This is the web site for getting Adobe help

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/support.html

Top right there is a 'Sign in' opportunity which you should do. Hopefully you have remembered your sign in name and password (but if you haven't it may have been remembered by your computer and it is possible to find this).

At the bottom of the page there are choices for you to make according to what sort of help you need.

(Saltire's 'Open Copy' is for a Mac and you won't find it on Windows).

You can also access help by opening Photoshop and pressing F1 on your computer keyboard.
Dabber 17 235 England
23 Sep 2019 8:05PM
Tianshi_angie,

Once again, many thanks for the prompt reply, I found the 'Run as Administrator' as you said and the program works as it did before!

I obviously don't understand why, but it has cheered me up no end.

All the best

Dabber
gaelldew 12 374 United Kingdom
23 Sep 2019 8:26PM

Quote:I am not sure why you are not processing your Raw files in LR rather than opening Raw files in PS ACR. In any case processing your Raw files in LR before opening in PS may at least keep you running until the problem is fixed.

Dave

I've just tried it without any problem, can you explain Dave why open in LR? I have only ever used ACR to process my RAW's never used LR at all, surely there's no difference other than grading them. Or is it just a matter of choice.
23 Sep 2019 8:37PM
gaelldew - just a matter of choice. Grin

Dabber - try opening the file using Adobe Bridge, use the 'Open in Camera Raw' from the file menu. When you have finished processing the image, press down the Alt key on your keyboard and hold the mouse pointer over the 'Open' button. It will change to 'Open Copy', Press this button and then the image should open in Photoshop.
23 Sep 2019 10:36PM

Quote:
Quote:I am not sure why you are not processing your Raw files in LR rather than opening Raw files in PS ACR. In any case processing your Raw files in LR before opening in PS may at least keep you running until the problem is fixed.

Dave

I've just tried it without any problem, can you explain Dave why open in LR? I have only ever used ACR to process my RAW's never used LR at all, surely there's no difference other than grading them. Or is it just a matter of choice.

It is entirely for you to decide how you process your images. While ACR will edit and render the Raw files in a similar way to LR, one can take advantage in the many other features of LR. It was designed for photographers whereas PS was not. The file management is a particularly strong feature of LR. Also LR includes HDR and Panorama (or both together) in Raw which I do not think is available anywhere else. Printing from LR is also much better than PS. But as PS and LR are included the cc package, I try to exploit the strengths of each of them as there are some things I can only do in PS. LR is designed to be at the centre of the workflow. If you are only an occasional user of image editing then you probably do not need PS anyway but if a keen amateur or professional managing thousands of images, LR becomes almost essential.

Dave
gaelldew 12 374 United Kingdom
24 Sep 2019 9:58AM
Thanks Dave, must admit I've never felt the need to go beyond ACR for the amount of editing (purely amatuer) even though have used PS for years.
Dabber 17 235 England
24 Sep 2019 11:40AM
Tianshi_angie,

I have just tried the open an image via bridge, completed the edit, then as you suggested pressed the Alt key and clicked the Open Copy option, worked a treat. Thank you.

While this thread has been running I notice a few recommendations to use Lightroom (aghhh)
I try, from time to time, to get to grips with it, but it wears me down and I give up.

Basically I can't get my head round the catalogue concept. I tend to keep my photos on a couple a large external hard drives and use them with either my desktop PC or a laptop. The problem being that the computers 'call' the drives by different letters and so the computer is unable to find the catalogues that go with the images. So, rather than spend time retraining myself into the concepts of Lightroom I revert back to Photoshop where, at least, I can carry out my editing.

I understand that Lightroom is 'the' way to go for photographers, but I need a set of bite sized tutorials that I can understand and absorb before moving on. I have tried a few on youtube and the Adobe site, but as yet I have failed to get a basic understanding so I keep struggling.

Can anyone recommend anywhere that may fit the bill?

Thanks again all

Dabber

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.