Amazon Music Unlimited Offer: 3-Months For FREE!

Problem printing B/W using colour inks

bikerbob 19 182
19 Feb 2002 6:45PM
In club competition you are allowed to introduce a single colour into a B/W image but when you print the image you have to use the colour inks to print. Unfortunately the B/W parts of the image do not print out B/W they tend to be a sort of dull muddy brown colour. Is there any way of correcting this? Using different papers does help but you still do not get a true B/W. I am using an Epson 1200 printer and Photoshop Elements. Any advice would be of great help. Thanks.
Loz_G 19 2
20 Feb 2002 11:11AM
Do you get the same problem on the papers recommended for that printer by Epson?

I suspect it might be a problem with that model of printer that will be impossible to resolve.
bikerbob 19 182
20 Feb 2002 7:58PM
LOZ-G THE PROBLEM I BELIEVE IS NOT THE PRINTER IT STEMS FROM THE FACT THAT YOU ARE TRYING TO PRINT A B/W IMAGE THAT HAS A PART OF THAT IMAGE THAT IS COLOURED SO THEREFORE YOU HAVE TO USE THE COLOUR INKS. NORMALLY FOR A B/W IMAGE YOU WOULD ONLY USE THE BLACK INK, BUT BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO USE COLOUR INKS TO GET THAT PART OF THE IMAGE THAT IS COLOURED THE REST OF THE IMAGE THAT IS B/W DOES NOT PRINT OUT TRUE B/W. EPSOM PAPER GIVES THE WORST CAST JESSOPS PAPER IS BETTER AND THE NEAREST ALTHOUGH NOT TRUE B/W IS OLMEC PAPER.THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY
peterjones 19 5.1k 1 United Kingdom
21 Feb 2002 9:23PM
Before I invested in Lyson Inks in my "old" Printer I used to print BW but always used to "tone" them thus deliberately introducing a cast.
As BW printers have been toning their prints for over a century why not do so with the new media?
Peter.
User_Removed 19 7.3k 6 United Kingdom
23 Feb 2002 3:59PM
I tried using Lyson inks and had also sorts of nozzle blockage problems so gave that up and persevered with Colour Inks.

I take my image into Photoshop, use Image/Adjust/Channel Mixer and click the monochrome box. Set the three colour channels as follows - Red +80, Green -10, Blue +30. Then click OK.

Adjust brightness/contrast to taste and print. I use an Epson 1270 (5 colour printer) on Epson Premium Glossy and my results are superb (I've won several club monochrome competitions against traditional darkroom printers!).

There is no guarantee this will be exactly right for you as it will vary from Printer to Printer but it's a basis to get started on.

Hope it helps you - let us know how you get on

Barrie
bikerbob 19 182
23 Feb 2002 7:16PM
THANKS BARRIE
I tried what you suggested but it did not work for me. However I have now found a way of doing it.
With the image on the screen using the magnetic lasso with a 2 feather pixel select the coloured parts of the image. In my case these were 8 flowers which I had coloured red. Then go to EDIT/CUT
go to FILE / PAGE SETUP and set the printer up for paper etc. but select BLACK INK then print. Go to HISTORY PALETTE delete CUT PIXELS go to SELECT / INVERSE then EDIT / CUT.Back to PAGE SETUP and change to COLOUR INK. Replace paper in printer and print. IMPORTANT that paper has no lateral movement.You then have a true monchrome print with one colour element. The downside is you have to go through this proceedure for every print. BOB STOKELL.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.