Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

Problem with 7D

paulcr Plus
16 1.5k 9 Ireland
16 Nov 2013 7:59PM
-mg-0086.jpg
Hi guys. Recently I have been having a problem with a few images from my 7D (Image attached). Anyone come across this before? Advice appreciated. Its not an issue with the memory card because I have tried it with a couple of cards, same result. Not with all images, just approx one in ten. Paul
16 Nov 2013 8:28PM
Warranty service - you won't be able to fix that yourself.
16 Nov 2013 8:30PM
I have a 7D for a couple of years and I have never ever seen anything like that before, sorry I can't help you.
Dave.
lawbert 14 1.8k 15 England
16 Nov 2013 9:07PM
It looks like the mirror hasnt fully lifted and a hybrid of a still image and a live view image.

I dont know if thats possible or the shooting mode used to take the image but short of giving the 7d a sharp slap (bit like getting a hammer out!!) then its one for a canon service centre
Sooty_1 11 1.5k 221 United Kingdom
16 Nov 2013 11:16PM
It looks like a digital problem rather than a hardware one. The whole image is present but the bottom portion is displaced to the right and the missing part added to the left edge. I have seen this before with a compact, which was a problem with writing the file. The whole image was there, but like a mosaic. I also had a problem with several cards, but it sorted itself when I cleaned the contacts in the camera. One avenue to explore, perhaps. Updating/reinstalling the firmware is another. Hth.

Nick
paulcr Plus
16 1.5k 9 Ireland
16 Nov 2013 11:24PM
Thanks guys. I reckoned on a service maybe, so thanks for those suggestions. Cleaning the contacts might be the way to go too so I'll try that first, thanks Sooty.
paulcr Plus
16 1.5k 9 Ireland
17 Nov 2013 6:36PM
Bump
lawbert 14 1.8k 15 England
17 Nov 2013 7:09PM

Quote:Bump

Did you drop it?Tongue
big fella 18 485 England
17 Nov 2013 8:08PM
Did you try re-flashing the firmware as already suggested?
cuffit Plus
14 354 8 England
17 Nov 2013 8:52PM
Paul, I have a 7D but cannot add to the advice already given. However, while I haven't seen the problem you have, I recently sent my Canon to the Colchester Canon Repair Centre and received an excellent service. If you visit their website you will see in their 'contact us' page the offer of advice and info. If all fails you may wish to give them a go. While the issue I had was mechanical I am sure they would help if they could. Good luck. Chris
paulcr Plus
16 1.5k 9 Ireland
17 Nov 2013 9:35PM
Thanks Chris, I#ll check online and see who's in Dublin to service it.

Quote:Did you try re-flashing the firmware as already suggested?

No I didn't. Do you meaan re-installing? I dont have the disc.
big fella 18 485 England
17 Nov 2013 10:00PM
You can download the firmware from the Canon website. If you have never done it before on any camera, I would suggest looking it up on Google. It is relatively straight forward, but make sure you have a fully charged battery.
paulcr Plus
16 1.5k 9 Ireland
18 Nov 2013 4:27PM
Will give that a go. Cheers. Paul
discreetphoton Plus
17 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
18 Nov 2013 11:09PM
You say is affecting all your cards. What is the speed rating on them? Does the buffer have time to clear? I get weird mirror lock up issues and write errors if my battery is low (so it's never happened since I added a grip). In my case, the buffer can't clear fast enough (but mine is a Nikon, not a Canon). Some of my files look similar to yours.
paulcr Plus
16 1.5k 9 Ireland
19 Nov 2013 12:37PM
I used the same compact flash card for a couple of years now with no problems. Thats why I tried it with another card and it was there too. No error messages. The images all look fine in the viewer with no issues. Its when I transfer them to the pc that I can see the problem. Paul

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.