Up To 50% Off Regatta Clothing + An Extra 10% Discount With Code: MSSEXTRA10

Problem with EOS 30D

srbutler 17 53 England
2 May 2007 3:38PM
I've had this 30D for over a year. I have had an issue on and off with (we'll call it flare but I don't think it is) Please follow this link for an example of the problem

example image issue

This image is taken at about 6pm through an open door, about 3 feet inside with a 70-200mm f4 IS lens.

I used to think it was a problem with my sigma lens, but as I now have 3 canon L series this cannot be the case. Ive tried covering the viewfinder and covering the lens camera join to no effect.

It does not appear on all images, prob about 10%, yes they do tend to be when there is a large amount of sky, so maybe its just more visible.

Anybody else apart from me think this camera body has a fault? or have I missed something?

Thanks,

Steve
cambirder 17 7.2k England
2 May 2007 3:55PM
Is that the whole frame, or a crop?
srbutler 17 53 England
2 May 2007 4:01PM
Whole frame. No work has been done to the image, captured as raw.
strawman 17 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
2 May 2007 4:32PM
Do you use filters on the front of the lens. If yes take them of and has it gone?

Have you tried using a lens hood?
srbutler 17 53 England
2 May 2007 5:03PM
No filters on test image (except Hoya Pro1D UV Filter)
Happens with and without ND filters (from memory don't remember having ever see it with a circ polariser attached).
Happens with and without lens hood

This test shot is taken from indoors using the entire house as a lens hood.
strawman 17 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
2 May 2007 5:22PM
OK try taking off the UV filter as it looks to me like some sort of reflection problem. It could be internal to the camera but given the curvature over the full frame I would go for reflections between the front element and the UV filter.

It is only a guess.
srbutler 17 53 England
2 May 2007 5:40PM
Just tested the 17-40 and the 70-200 with and without the UV filters and its the same, its still there on the same sky shot.
Superficial 14 147
2 May 2007 5:56PM
What about with a lens cap on? Just in case there's some light making its way in through a gap/ the viewfinder.
psiman 17 574 Wales
2 May 2007 6:06PM
Oh dear, I'm afraid I've seen this sort of effect before with Canon DSLR's and I think it's an indication that the shutter is failing. Have a look at this thread on dpreview for more examples and information. If your camera is still in warranty I'd send it back ASAP.

Simon
srbutler 17 53 England
2 May 2007 7:58PM
Simon,

Thanks for that, I'd heard about shutter issues, but not seen any images - looks exactly the same.

Guess its a call into canon in the morning and hopefully a free out of warranty repair - seems people have managed that with less than 100,000 shots and I'm only on 14,000.

Standing in a bucket and rusting comes to mind.

Cheers all,

Steve
psiman 17 574 Wales
2 May 2007 9:02PM
Hi Steve,

With a 30D and only 14,000 shutter actuations you should be in with a chance of claiming a free out of warranty repair.

Good luck.

Simon
Britman 14 1.7k England
2 May 2007 11:36PM
interesting. how do you check your shutter current life cycle? Same camera.
Superficial 14 147
3 May 2007 12:18AM
On a 30D it is simply the file number.
srbutler 17 53 England
12 Jun 2007 12:51PM
Well,

Just thought I'd update on this issue.

Sent the camera to Colchester Camera Repair Service. Was away for just under 4 weeks. Came back well packaged and clean but with the eye cushion and the bit of foam the mirror hits missing. These were forwarded the next day and the bit of foam is easy to stick down.

The shutter was fixed under warranty despite being 3 weeks outside the official 12 months period for the body as a whole. Thank you canon for standing by your statements on shutter operations!

All is now well in the 30D world Smile

Steve

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.