Save 40% On inPixio Photo Studio 12 - Now 29.99

Problem with Focusing

DickT 10 5 United Kingdom
6 Oct 2011 5:15PM
As a bit of a newbie to photography I've been slowly learning how to produce half decent shots but have come up against a problem which I can't quite get my head round. When shooting landscapes at an aperture of f16 ish the general advice is to focus one third of the way into the shot to ensure maximun sharpness. But if I do this, as soon as I recompose, the camera refocuses. Should I be switching to manual focus or changing the af point, or is there a simple way to overcome this. It may be that I'm being a bit thick here but it's beginning to annoy me !!
Daffy1 14 420 Ireland
6 Oct 2011 5:25PM
Turn off Auto focus and only use manual. Damian
JackAllTog Plus
13 6.4k 58 United Kingdom
6 Oct 2011 6:02PM

Quote: switching to manual focus or changing the af point
your spot on this is the best approach with the 1st better than the second.
I don't yet know of any camera's that will sort out the 1/3 hyperfocal/rest to infinity is in focus thing.
Also for night shots AF if rarly any good anyway.
Cheers
Stuart
6 Oct 2011 6:14PM
You could hold the shutter button half-way down, then re-compose, that should hold the autofocus for you. The downside to this is if you are metering TTL it will usually meter on the point you have have focused on unless you can alter this through your camera's setup menu.

Regards

Marc
mikesavage 20 299 2 England
6 Oct 2011 7:01PM
I was going to suggest the same as Marc above. Additionally, some cameras have a Pan focus setting which I think sets the focus at the position which gives the maximum DOF bearing in mind the focal length & aperture in use.
User_Removed 12 4.6k 1 Scotland
6 Oct 2011 7:14PM
What camera are you using, ****?

On my Nikons, Marc's advice would be spot on, plus you can set the AE/AF button so that you only lock the focus but not the exposure.

On most cameras there will be a variety of different ways of getting round this.

User_Removed 12 4.6k 1 Scotland
6 Oct 2011 7:16PM
....having said that, I have found that, for landscapes, manual exposure and manual focussing do give the best results, once you are confident in using them. I would say that manual exposure is more important than manual focussing - at f/16 most landscapes should be pretty well in focus from 10 metres to infinity no matter where your AF system is picking its spot.
DickT 10 5 United Kingdom
6 Oct 2011 8:08PM
Wow. Thanks for all the advice folks. I was really beginning to think I was losing the plot! This is pretty new to me and there's more to learn than I ever imagined. Appreciate all your help. Stand by for my next "How the hell do you.................?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.