Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

Problem with sharpness - advice needed!

Kot 11 7 1 Poland
6 Sep 2010 9:26PM
I'm getting more and more frustrated.
Almost every time I upload a photo I can notice it gets quite soapy blurred in the epz gallery. Despite the fact the original image (viewed from the hard disc) is pin sharp. I use Photoshop and typically resize photos using Save for Web & Devices dialog with Bicubic Sharper option checked. I also tried to resize them first to required dimensions (Image>Image Size) and later on Save for Web... (to change resolution and compression level). I tried different sequences as well. No matter how I try most of my pictures get blurred after uploading.
I'll be very grateful if anyone can explain how to get pin sharp image in the gallery. What do I do wrong? This can't be so complicated (well, I started thinking I'm retard).
justin c 17 5.1k 36 England
6 Sep 2010 9:52PM
Re-size your image to the correct dimensions, view at 100%, sharpen using your preferred method, then Save for Web and set the quality to the desired level. If done in this order your uploaded image should look identical to the one in Photoshop, or whatever program you're using.

Are you definitely sizing the image to the correct dimensions and quality setting (400 for E2 members, 200 otherwise), if not perhaps it's being automatically re-sized for you when you upload it to the gallery and losing sharpness in the process.
cameracat 17 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
6 Sep 2010 9:53PM
After you re-size to 600 pixels etc, Add a little sharpness, By little I do mean little lets say around 20% to 28% @ 0.9 in smart sharpen Or Unsharp, Keep the threshold at 0.

Then go to save for web as usual.

Reason for this is when you crunch a full size image down from its original size to something much smaller, The process can ( usually does ) mess with the sharpness.

So basically my tip above, Just adds a little back.

Go lightly though, When sharpening such a small file, Its very easy to " Oversharpen " and this looks worse.

Smile
Eviscera 15 1.1k 149 United Kingdom
6 Sep 2010 10:05PM
Maybe upload an image and then add a few variants using different sharpening , colour space profiles etc till you find a workflow that looks good on screen.

Just call it "experimental res"

Not sure if a variant image can also get chucked into the shark pool , (sorry , critique gallery) but thats a good start for advice. Ask Willie.
Kot 11 7 1 Poland
6 Sep 2010 10:28PM
Thank you, guys!
I will surely proceed according to your advices (post-sharpening?).
However Justin made me check upload size limits and... bingo. Something has changed - a year ago 100K file weight was allowed for non-members, now it is 70K. And I am still stubbornly sending 100K files.
This is embarrassing a bit.
Thank you.
Regards
justin c 17 5.1k 36 England
6 Sep 2010 10:36PM
It's easily done, especially if you have to remember various size limits for numerous purposes.
cameracat 17 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
7 Sep 2010 12:27PM

Quote:This is embarrassing a bit

Believe me I have done much worse things.....LOL.....Still do from time to time......Sad

I even refer to my workflow as a workslow these days.....Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.