Processing Poinsettia reds

JackAllTog Plus
10 5.7k 58 United Kingdom
12 Dec 2018 6:59PM
I recently tried to process Poinsettias red leaves in Lightroom,
Not good, either the reds we're dull or oversaturated.
Is there a known technique to processing strong colours to get them bright but still with detail?
Thanks

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

saltireblue Plus
9 9.9k 36 Norway
12 Dec 2018 7:58PM
I use ACR for adjusting raw files - don't know if you are talking about raw or jpeg - and go to the HSL adjustment panel, choose red (in this case) and then you can adjust the hue, saturation and luminescence independently of each other. That should give you a satisfactory result, Stuart.

Malc
JackAllTog Plus
10 5.7k 58 United Kingdom
13 Dec 2018 12:43AM
Thanks Malc, Almost always Raw. I'll gave it another go thanks, and mixing the HSL with overall exposure & contrast worked much better when they were all pulled back a bit on the red channel thanks Smile

Top left is more of what i wanted, bottom right was my first attempt.
97593_1544661737.jpg

JJGEE 14 7.6k 18 England
13 Dec 2018 11:59AM
Not being unkind but nice to know I am not the only one that has problems with flowers.
I have the same issue with daffodils & tulips amongst others.

I have found it helps if you have overcast light, subject is in shadow and a polarising filter is useful as well.

In post processing I use RGB & Luma curves on separate layers to adjust saturation / brightness respectively but not sure if LR can do that as I use Capture One Pro

CaroleS Plus
9 440 3 United Kingdom
13 Dec 2018 12:40PM
I always use RAW, with the minimum of processing as it distorts the colour - subdued light works best for the initial shot. Red tones in flowers are hard, especially if the petals have any sheen on them. Velvety textures are not so much of a problem.
13 Dec 2018 1:27PM
Useful thread, I've just revisited one or two of mine and found I could improve the image no end by reducing the saturation and increasing the luminosity of the red channel. This in an image I had already treated in LR.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.