Exclusive ePHOTOzine offer - 20% off Mistubishi CP-M15E Bundle!

Professional Indemnity insurance - Important at the beginning?

marietafs 14 91 Spain
9 Mar 2007 12:36PM
Hi

I'm following a thread I started about liability insurance where the question arised at the end about professional indemnity one.

I'm copying part of the last message here to see if somebody has any experiences of feedback:

When buying the insurance they had a check box to include professional indemnity in the policy but I didn't check it, is it important when you are starting?

I'm not sure I understood right when reading all the different meanings, professional indemnity is for when a client commissions you a project and then he/she is not happy with the results and decides to take you to court? I hope I understood correctly as I didn't get it thinking it would only be necessary once I have clients with expensive projects, I didn't think that now that I'm starting it was relevant.

All I wanted at this point was to make sure that if anything happens during a photoshoot to a third person that I'm covered, once I was filling in the policy then I took on more things (e.g: I took the pro policy instead of the basic one).

I appreciate all feedback and experiences on this, I have 15 days to change or cancel the policy.

Thanks, Marķa
onewildworld 18 696 4 United Kingdom
9 Mar 2007 12:59PM
It really depends on what you're shooting. If it's weddings, or contracted work, then it's worth it. If you shooting for stock, then it's less needed. Basically, it covers you against not producing professional work - as you said - if the client isn't happy, they take you to court. If you don't shoot for clients, you can happily ignore it.

Dave
9 Mar 2007 6:19PM
As said - if you are taking on commissions, its worth having PI. If you make a mistake and the client has a consequential loss as a result, they could sue you. If you do work like weddings, I would say that PI is absolutely essential.
marietafs 14 91 Spain
9 Mar 2007 8:54PM
Ok, thanks, then no problem yet, I don“t have big clients knocking on my door (I will, I will, there“s no hurry Tongue) and the only thing I feel I can“t do is...weddings (unless they would like to commission me for the "after the party" portrait... which would be really rare and I totally understand it)
Mark_Readman 15 922
10 Mar 2007 10:19AM
Most people and organisations only sue somebody who has insurance !
sad fact of human nature !
Scon 13 26
28 Jun 2007 4:50PM
Hi all,

Was just searching on this subject, as I have just spoken to an advisor at 'SImply Business' who have several insurance companies on their books that they search for the best quote for you.

I explained that I wanted professional indemnity along with public liability but he said that as a wedding photographer it wasn't necessary.

He said that the clients not being happy with your work would not be saved by indemnity and it wouldn't make any difference if they took you to court.

Any thoughts on this?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.