Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

Professional print - odd colour hue

bigbed 17 21 United Kingdom
11 Feb 2008 8:56AM
Hi gang. You'll please have to excuse my ignorance if this is a very obvious problem.
I recently had a crop of this photo printed at one of those Red Image franchises locally. It came out with a very distinctive green hue (shades of green rather than shades of grey).

Rather luckily, this actually goes well with where it is to be displayed, so is not a problem. However, what did I do wrong to get that result? And what can I do to make sure that the colours are more acurately represented in the future? This is the first time I've used a service like this and I want to get it right in the future.

For your info, I used the Gimp to edit it, I did only very basic changes (contrast, healing brush and crop) before saving as a tiff for print (though the camera (Olympus FE230) only produces jpegs).
Thanks for any responses.
Tim
elowes 17 2.8k United Kingdom
11 Feb 2008 10:21AM
Jpeg to tiff and back to jpeg. No real advantage gained using tiffs for prints.

You may not have done anything wrong. B/W images sometimes have a colour cast to them when printed.

A reprint should have been asked for if the image looked right on the shop's screen.
bigbed 17 21 United Kingdom
11 Feb 2008 10:48AM

Quote:You may not have done anything wrong. B/W images sometimes have a colour cast to them when printed.

Well it is a colour photo, just that it looks very monochrome.

Quote:A reprint should have been asked for if the image looked right on the shop's screen.

Sorry, I should have mentioned - it looked just fine on his screen before printing. He was using a windows box running photoshop to setup the photos, before using a mac running photoshop to do the actual printing.

To be fair to the chap, he did offer to print it again if we weren't happy with it, but as I said, the pale green hues actually make it look like the picture merges into the walls when hung at home, so is just fine.

He did say something about the printer having a much bigger colour gamut than the software, but couldn't really offer any other advice, other than perhaps switching to use the adobe rgb colour profile at home. I'm not sure how to do this though - I'll have to hunt around in the Gimp stuff.

thanks,
tim

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.