Program can't run on the PC

11 Jul 2018 2:27PM
When I try to open a adobe photoshop (psd) file I get an error: photoshop can't run on your PC.
It shows up for one psd file but not others. This started after I upgraded from the trial windows 8.1 to the full release of 8.1. I've tried uninstalling photoshop and re-installing. No help. Can anyone advise me of a solution to this.
Many thanks

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Philh04 Plus
13 1.9k United Kingdom
11 Jul 2018 3:17PM
Welcome to the forums... as a Mac user I do not know a lot about the Windows OS...

However, which version of Photoshop?

It sounds like that one particular PSD file has become corrupted somehow or has been saved as an incompatable version.

It might be worth rebuilding your preference file, but I cannot be sure, it won't do any harm though (Instructions are on the web)
Tianshi_angie 3 2.1k England
11 Jul 2018 8:31PM
I have recently received this message on an old laptop which is running the first version of Windows 10 before the 'Creator' version was dreamt up. PS worked fine before this and I am reluctant to update the old machine to Creator as I dislike it intensely. Creator is running on my second laptop so I don't need to update. The message on my machine says that CC will only work with the new updated Windows. I don't think this is necessarily true as I am sure that there are folk who are still running older versions of Windows and using PS CC but possibly there has been some different version of PS CC for those running it on older machines. You could try contacting Adobe through their help pages as I suspect that there must be a version which is usable on older machines.
Jestertheclown 9 7.8k 252 England
11 Jul 2018 9:01PM

Quote:possibly there has been some different version of PS CC for those running it on older machines.

A lot of people must still posses the installation files for old, now outdated, copies of CC but I thought the whole point of subscribing to software was that it would be kept up to date.
Likewise Microsoft constantly distributes updates to its systems and does so for very good reasons.
Having said that, I would have thought that Windows 8.1, albeit a bit long in the tooth, would still be capable of running CC.

Philh04 Plus
13 1.9k United Kingdom
11 Jul 2018 9:11PM
The OP hasn't said which version of Photoshop they are running, also they say the problem appears to occur with a single PSD file so chances are it does not have anything to do with the operating system.
Jestertheclown 9 7.8k 252 England
11 Jul 2018 10:26PM

Quote:The OP hasn't said which version of Photoshop they are running, also they say the problem appears to occur with a single PSD file so chances are it does not have anything to do with the operating system.

Aha!
Where did I get CC from . . . ?
You're right, of course.
As you say, it's not unknown; it's happened to me, albeit it rarely, for a file to save incorrectly.
If that is the case (and I'll stand to be corrected) I don't think there's much you can do.
Chris_L Plus
4 4.8k United Kingdom
12 Jul 2018 6:34AM
What's the exact message you get. Can you take a screenshot?

Maybe the .psd file you are trying to load needs more memory, tries to invoke 64bit version of Ps, that fails to run because at some point your O/S reverted to 32 bit.

Without the message though it's just a guessing game.
Big Bri 17 16.4k United Kingdom
12 Jul 2018 9:40AM
Try opening Photoshop first (on its own), then if it works, opening the offending file from within Photoshop and see what the error is.
Tianshi_angie 3 2.1k England
12 Jul 2018 10:42AM
My apologies to all - I misread the original post and in my head reversed the problem i.e. it was happening to all images except one .psd. I agree with Phil that this is probably a corrupted file and in my own experience of trying all kinds of solutions one file is not worth the time wasted in getting it to work. If you worked on a copy of your files then you could return to the original. If you use ACR then when you have opened the original and made the necessary/desired processes then pressing Alt when you save will save your pp-ed image as a copy and save the original in its pristine state.
Philh04 Plus
13 1.9k United Kingdom
18 Jul 2018 5:16PM

Quote:Hello
Me too I have the same problem.
Since I installed Windows 10 my Photoshop program no longer works. I reinstalled it without success. Can someone help me?
thank you.

PhotoShop version?
marPom 1
28 Jul 2018 3:27PM
For all versions of Adobe Photoshop CC, Adobe has moved to a shared plugins folder. Shared Creative Cloud Location - which will load the plug-in for all installed versions of Photoshop CC (Photoshop CC & Photoshop CC 2014 & Photoshop CC 2015 & Photoshop CC 2015.5 & future versions of Photoshop CC when they are released, like CC 2017) without having to reinstall the plug-in. If you are running a CC version and receiving the ".dll is missing error" on startup, please delete all old ON1 plugin files from this folder:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CC
Delete any older ON1 plugin files of ours that may still be lingering in the plugins folder or a subfolder in the plugins folder
More info detailed info on how to fix Photoshop errors here: http://www.psd.repair/

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.