Props

Strobe 12 1.3k United States
13 May 2008 7:14PM
This might sound strange but I have started frequenting the likes of charity shops looking for props, to photograph or to create a photographic scene. Has anyone else done anything similar ? if so what props do you have ? Useful and unuseful.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

anpix 12 88 United Kingdom
13 May 2008 7:23PM
Sounds a good idea might try it.
Should be good for MNC
JJGEE 15 7.7k 18 England
13 May 2008 7:23PM
I've not done this but it does sound a great idea.
Another option would be a stroll round a "boot fair" one Sunday morning !
keith selmes 16 7.4k 1 United Kingdom
13 May 2008 8:08PM
anglepoise lamps. big ones that nobody wants because they're too big.
picture frames.
cameras.
extension tubes.
vases.
imander 12 388 7 United Kingdom
13 May 2008 8:12PM
bootsales and charity shops and the cheap shops like 99p shop, lots of things like cars,bikes,boxes, costumes, small chairs....etc all that i can use with the pets
ian
Shutterbybaby 12 529 England
13 May 2008 8:18PM
I love doing things like this on the cheap, i once bought rosary beads from a charity shop as a prop.
Other things ive done on the cheap(my kids have a way of spending my money before i can buy important things like reflectors etc ;P )...
Foil, black card , white card = my reflectors
Toilet roll = to put over my flash for a softer effect
Offcuts of material, bedsheets = backgrounds
A little torch = no purpose yet but a workman left it here and never came back for it so i claimed it!
Think thats about it, couldnt think of a sturdy alternative for a tripod so i did get one of those Tongue
Paul Morgan 18 19.4k 6 England
14 May 2008 12:46AM

Quote:This might sound strange but I have started frequenting the likes of charity shops looking for props

Thats not strange at all, one of the best places if you ask me, larger boot sales can be good as well.

Just picked up a couple of those cheap foil sun shades for cars to be used as fold up reflectors only 2 each Smile
NickParry 14 1.0k 79 Wales
14 May 2008 12:50AM
I agree, nothing better than a 'bootie' to find props etc. I pick up fabric from my local one to use as backdrops; very good prices.

Nick
dark_lord Plus
15 2.4k 620 England
14 May 2008 7:45AM

Quote:Just picked up a couple of those cheap foil sun shades for cars to be used as fold up reflectors only 2 each

The seller may well have made a profit then, as I got mine in a Poundshop Smile

On that note, Poundshops can also be useful hunting grounds.

Keith
Paul Morgan 18 19.4k 6 England
14 May 2008 8:05AM

Quote:On that note, Poundshops can also be useful hunting grounds

No poundland were I live, made use of good old woolies Smile
rowarrior 12 4.4k 9 Scotland
14 May 2008 10:40AM
Never thought of browsing charity shops, but that might give me a target place to walk to today to find something, there's a few up in Dennistoun...
SuziBlue 17 16.2k 10 Scotland
14 May 2008 10:50AM
Charity shops are a treasure trove, Katy! and old junk shops too .. for props and picture frames; cheap fabric shops for backgrounds, cellophane sweetie wrappers to make colourful reflectors .. Smile
jmolligo 14 60 United States
14 May 2008 10:50AM
Definately one of the best ways to find props, unfortunately pickings seem to be gettin slimmer and slimmer and prices higher and higher (at least in USA). If bootsale means the same as garage sale, that is also a good way to go. I also check pennysaver type want-ad papers (do they have those in the UK?).
keith selmes 16 7.4k 1 United Kingdom
14 May 2008 12:33PM
boot sale - something like this
FatHandedChap 14 1.3k England
14 May 2008 2:13PM
I built most of my sets during my two years at college from stuff from boot sales and junk shops. There was a great market at Tynemouth Metro station that had loads of junk at silly prices. I've still got some of it, much to my wifes displeasure. Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.