The Totally Tamron Website Is Back! Visit Today For All Things Tamron

Proshow Gold - Caution!

Bridgelayer 12 659 United Kingdom
6 Dec 2019 5:43PM
Anyone thinking of purchasing Proshow Gold - BEWARE!

The company has folded and have set up a new firm called PHOTOPIA.

There is no support for Proshow Gold on their website and you cannot get a reply from them if you use the "Contact Us" page. Unfortunately, you need to use their authentication code from their website, so once you find you have to re-install any software, you are dun!!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

brian1208 16 11.6k 12 United Kingdom
6 Dec 2019 5:53PM
can you provide a link for this please
6 Dec 2019 6:24PM
The first one is:-
http://www.proshowenthusiasts.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=24358
Followed by:-

https://community.adobe.com/t5/the-lounge/heads-up-if-you-use-photodex-proshow-software-company-basically-out-of-business/td-p/10225251#10851493

The last one is personal experience, and I aint not nivver making a donation so I can get a bleedin' answer.

6 Dec 2019 9:49PM
thanks for those links, I do use it and hadn't spotted any problems, hence my request for clarification

I was interested to note that the second reference was from Jan 6th 2019, I would have thought there would have been something more definitive in the open press since then? Maybe I've missed it?
6 Dec 2019 9:53PM
from the same site, dated October 2019

Quote:Like other ProShow Producers whose attention has been drawn to this and a couple of other blog threads alleging that Photodex has gone out of business, I have been rather upset at the “news” as have a number of fellow users in my photo club and another local photo club. To paraphrase someone else’s famous statement (Mark Twain maybe, I don’t recall) — I am happy, and feel compelled to report here, that the rumours concerning the demise of Photodex are premature. About two weeks ago, over two or three days I submitted some online tech support requests to the Photodex website. After not hearing back, other than the standard automated acknowledgements with case numbers, for up to ten days in the worst case, and after reading this blog thread, two days ago on October 7 I replied to all three auto-acknowledgments saying it has been X business days since I got this, yet no live response. What is wrong? Are you still in business? Please reply! About half an hour after sending these replies, I received the following reply from Photodex support, signed by a person at Photodex support with whom I’ve corresponded in the past. “Ed, we apologize for the extreme delay of this reply. A number of support requests in our system were previously lost due to a server-side problem, yours included. Those messages have only recently been recovered, hence the delay of this response. Photodex is still here … We’re still in business and working on new things. I’m not sure when the next version of the software will be released … I expect that there will be a big announcement when the next update becomes available. Please let us know if you need any further assistance.” I have inserted the ellipses to remove some additional information pertaining to a specific technical question in one of my tech support requests, which information isn’t relevant here. I think these rumours about Photodex going out of business are both untrue and unfair to the company. I suggest that others on this forum who have experienced tech support non-responses try re-contacting them as I have. I have been a nine-year customer of Photodex and have no business or financial connections with them, nor have I been asked by them to post these comments. Their website is in fact still functioning, I have been able to re-download my installers from their website, and three days ago I successfully purchased, downloaded, and installed one of their products on my system. The appropriate charge has appeared on my credit card, per normal. That, and the reply I got two days ago, do not spell “out of business” to me, nor anything like it.
9 Dec 2019 4:26PM
Brian, please post a link where they can be contacted.
My apologies to Photodex if the info I have provided is wrong, but I have NOT been able to contact them.
10 Dec 2019 11:31AM
I haven't tried them yet so can't provide a link, I was just interested in following the references through to the most recent time.

As things stand my PSG continues to work unaffected (as far as I can see)
10 Dec 2019 3:58PM
Mine's still working as well, Brian. It's just in case this geriatric machine has to be re-jigged.

It's strange how companies can fold then re-open with another name and there's no come-back on them. They've got our money, so is it one F or two F's in Tuff?
11 Dec 2019 2:51PM
It's true. Official info from Photodex website:

"Photodex ended development of ProShow Gold and ProShow Producer in 2018. These products are currently still available for download. Support for these products will be ending soon, and we'll announce those details soon" (web . photodex . com)

21 Dec 2019 4:07AM
I had a problem with my license key . Reported illegal. Wrote to Photodex with no support and answer . Solved by myself reinstalling but I do not why it happened so it could be happen again. No answer . No phone answer calls . No answer emails . But still selling their products without any single support . Lack of ethics .
Lot of money invested on the Photodex products and third parties , now in the garbage. You can continue using the product but don't forget to pray that license servers must be active for authorizarizarion of the license keys.
8 Jan 2020 6:14PM
Photodex is shutting down on January 31, 2020. More details:

http://www.photodex.com/shutdown.html
saltireblue Plus
9 10.1k 45 Norway
8 Jan 2020 6:35PM
I would also be wary of using the alternative they recommend - Photopia - as it seems to have been started up by former Photodex directors...(I'm just quoting, and can't confirm the following)
This, from the Adobe forum:

Quote:It's a funny situation because in the Website they are recomending Photopia , which suposed to be similar to Proshow and created by developers from the former Photodex staff , but you need to pay again .
8 Jan 2020 6:49PM

Quote:I would also be wary of using the alternative they recommend - Photopia - as it seems to have been started up by former Photodex directors...(I'm just quoting, and can't confirm the following)
This, from the Adobe forum:

Quote:It's a funny situation because in the Website they are recomending Photopia , which suposed to be similar to Proshow and created by developers from the former Photodex staff , but you need to pay again .

Finally Photodex announced End Of Business . Registers users please consider download all the relative information about license keys and last version of the software installed in case of needs in future reinstallation . We need to pray about all the servers controlling the License keys will be available for more years and who knows who will be responsible for this availability . Is a matter of faith .
8 Jan 2020 7:23PM
A main problem of a new Photopia Creator/Director - crazy prices for a subscription - 99 or 250 USD accordingly. Annually! Or you lose access to their product once you stop the subscription. It's too much for enthusiasts and hobbyists. Another problem - the successor was released too earlier - a lot of bugs and problems, freezes and crashes for your money. I'm wondered why they didn't perform a free Beta testing?
9 Jan 2020 3:52PM
As I suggested, it's possibly a scam, with the same people setting up a new company shortly after, or during the set -up of a new company. Once they've got your brass they keep it.
I'm a bit titched off by having had PSG bought for me as a gift and no support left for me.

Ho Humm.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.