Your chance to win a Nikon Z 50 Camera Kit!

"Protected" photos

mattw 16 5.2k 10 United Kingdom
19 Jan 2011 11:20PM

Quote:But, hey, it also shows that there's no point in the "protection", either, since every PC has a "break this protection" key.
Well, if it makes people happy, I guess there is a point.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

DRicherby 11 269 726 United Kingdom
19 Jan 2011 11:20PM
Oh. That's not so useful, then. But at least things will get better as, obviously, most commentsare on recent uploads.

Dave.
19 Jan 2011 11:32PM
mattw wrote:
> Well, if it makes people happy, I guess there is a point.

Well, sure, but not doing it also makes people happy. So you have to balance the happiness of people who now think they're protected against the happiness of the people who had legitimate reasons to download the images and the people who benefited from that by having helpful comments made on their photos. It always seemed to me that critique and helping each other improve were central aspects of this site and significant differentiators against sites such as Flickr that just aim to provide a place to store photos on the net. It seems to be a step backwards to make those things harder to do in order to provide a form of "protection" that is largely illusory.

Dave.
Tooth 15 5.8k 227 Ireland
20 Jan 2011 11:27AM
I know you have a difficult balancing act, team...but I think many would agree the critique gallery is one of the aspects which has really come into its own in the last year or two. and one of the mainstays of that has been the ease of doing modifications. So i reckon anything that makes that process harder has to be on the down side of the balance.

OK I can do printscreen, but it pastes the whole page and is annoying to have to faff around cropping down. Alternatively I can do a selected screen capture in PSP. But while that's OK, I'm sure there are others who won't be bothered to be doing all that, rather than the good old copy and paste.

So I hope people who are inclined to do helpful mods will continue to do so and take the extra steps. I think it shows as well that you can still download a pic whatever security you want to put on it, so was it worth it? Only the team can know how much the security was requested...I know what I think Smile

Stephen
20 Jan 2011 11:39AM
Why does it make it harder? I've just downloaded a pic, and changed it to B&W takes a minute or two, if that.
20 Jan 2011 11:53AM
I'm just thinking of the people who are used to just copying and pasting, whether they'd bother with finding another route...I hope I'm wrong - i suppose if someone's able to download, change and upload a mod they should be able to sort it Smile
20 Jan 2011 12:21PM
For any photo that has mods enabled (which is everything in the critique gallery), you can go to the "Modifications" tab and click a link to download the image. It's two extra clicks compared to the old right-click-save but that's no great problem.

On the other hand, it does seem bizarre to "protect" an image but then allow anybody (or, perhaps just any member of the site) to follow a link and download it. If you're assuming that theives won't find that link, what makes you think that legitimate users will? If there's an assumption that thieves won't bother to register for the site, why not only "protect" images when displayed to people who aren't logged in?

Dave.
20 Jan 2011 7:53PM
OK, so it seems that the majority of uploads to the gallery now have EXIF information in them; previously, the majority didn't. I'd assumed that was because Photoshop's 'Save for web' option removes EXIF and everyone was using Photoshop. I guess it was actually because most people were uploading large images and letting EPZ resize them, which was removing the EXIF.

Since shooting data is now readily accessible for most photos and Print Screen means that not being able to save photos is only a mild inconvenience, I guess I have no significant practical objection to the "protection".

Dave.
21 Jan 2011 11:53AM

Quote: I guess I have no significant practical objection to the "protection".

Ditto
simont 16 2.3k 4 United Kingdom
21 Jan 2011 1:18PM
Just because you can no longer "right click save image as" doesn't mean you can't pinch a copy of the image.

You just have to be a bit more cunning - takes a few minutes but with practice can be done quickly.
Jestertheclown 11 8.2k 253 England
21 Jan 2011 2:25PM

Quote:You just have to be a bit more cunning

Just cunning enough, in fact, to read the first post in this thread!

And whilst that's probably the quickest and easiest way, it's by no means the only one.
spaceman 16 5.3k 3 Wales
22 Jan 2011 1:00AM
I occasionally show one of my photos on another (non-photographic) site but I need the "view background image" to provide a link and this has been removed as an option on my own photographs and it's a real pain. Bizarrely, I could, if I wished, provide a link to other people's photographs but not my own. Please give it back.
22 Jan 2011 1:08AM
What's wrong with just linking to the page in the gallery, like this. Linking direct to images is generally frowned upon -- for example, it denies EPZ potential ad revenue.

Dave.
Graybe 11 9 United Kingdom
22 Jan 2011 8:29AM
At the moment the photo community has managed to shut down several web sites that were stealing photos, in some cases the quality of the picture was extremely low. HAving had photos taken from elsewhere then sold I am extremely loathe to put anything on line that it is possible to steal, I own the rights to display and sell as I see fit... Not have some thief take something I have created then profit from it, it is bad enough with some of the poor returns from micro stock agencies but at least they pay if only a pittance.

This site has been closed down:

http://lxixixl.com

This is one of many.

Keep the photos protected, please.
22 Jan 2011 11:37AM
Graybe wrote:
> I am extremely loathe to put anything on line that it is possible to steal

Then do not put anything online. Please understand that anything that is displayed in a web browser can be stolen easily. "Protection" only prevents the one-click way of doing it (the 'save image' entry on the right-click menu).

Dave.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.