ADVERTISEMENT
Affinity 2 Launch Deal - Save 40% Today

Public Tolerance. Total realism or some effect?

tonyguitar 10 77 37 Canada
4 Jan 2015 7:27PM
Noticed many beautiful but ' adjusted ' images that seem to get low vote and comment numbers.
This one for example.
https://www.ephotozine.com/user/sunsetskydancer-10906/gallery/photo/waiting-room-41932589
And this one....
https://www.ephotozine.com/photo/portwrinkle-winch-42015278#comment_17752880

Do we, the photogs at ePZ insist on total realism for the most part? Are we less inclined to accept HDR or texture touches than the general public?

Not an easy question to resolve, for me that is. Am I alone in thinking the two images above are very good photo-art? TG
Ross_D 8 841 1 United Kingdom
4 Jan 2015 8:08PM

Quote:Do we, the photogs at ePZ insist on total realism for the most part?

I don't think togs on here insist on anything - it's all a matter of trends and whats popular and what isn't. At the moment it would appear that the 'sunset/sunrise/coast/milky water /Big Stopper' type of image rules supreme (judging by the number of 'awards' given to these type of images). As for HDR, again it's all a matter of personal opinion - personally, I like some HDR images ( the first image you gave as an example is excellent) but doesn't fit the trend that I quoted above. The second example you gave is (IMO) way to heavy on the HDR.

As for photo-art, I wouldn't know how to define what that is ! Smile
cuffit Plus
16 360 8 England
4 Jan 2015 8:09PM
TG, I wonder if it is a little simpler in that we tend to look at photos that we are interested in or those, that by dint of quality or subject, attract us in anyway. Both photos are good but is the subject enough to draw the viewer in, rather than any 'treatment' the photo may have had. Certain topics appear to do better than others but a good photo, or perhaps a different photo, will generally get the votes whatever the category.

In addition, I am often surprised to look at a photo and see that the person has been on the site for years and yet excellent photo after photo has been placed on the site and passed me by. With so many photos being added they move off the radar fairly quickly and I expect this is why it may appear that viewers are more selective than they might actually be. Chris
mikehit 13 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
4 Jan 2015 8:38PM
Both images have had about 90 votes, both with over 60 different viewers and about 10 votes. It is hard to pass comment without knowing the average statistics across the whole site.

Speaking for myself those particular images strike me as being increasingly typical of gallery photos: highly processed, with punchy exagerrated colours. As thumbnails they catch my eye purely for that reason but when I open them I realise the subject is not really that exciting (to me). I am not saying the photos are not worthy of any votes they get, nor am I saying that they are without merit but such a presentation appeals to someone who...well...is attracted by that presentation.
There are many, many highly processed shots (be it hdr, enhanced colours or whatever) that get oodles of votes and they get lots of votes because they have a presentation, a subject matter and a style that crosses boundaries of diffferent tastes and so attract a wider audience. So I am re-interpreting your question as 'why do not many people like it for the the reason I like it'.
bricurtis Plus
17 2.7k 53 England
4 Jan 2015 9:03PM

Quote:Both images have had about 90 votes

I think that should read views.

I don't like either of them. As has been said above it's all about image content and personal processing preferences.Subjective.
tonyguitar 10 77 37 Canada
4 Jan 2015 10:05PM
Thank you for taking the time to respond to my wondering about processed rather than plain technically correct images. There are so many variables including ideal upload times, that one can only gather a sense of trend rather than anything concrete or rule of thumb.
Recently in the news, a slept in bed sold for two million dollars. Reasons are so complex, it may be easier to nail jelly to the wall. TG

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.