Enter the ePHOTOzine Christmas Prize Draw extravaganza!

Puppy help

9 Apr 2009 9:26PM
Please help with some advice. We are thinking of buying a puppy as a family pet. We have a shortlist which we feel will fit our lifestyle but want a few rumours etc clarified. I have owned dogs before but not these particular breeds.
1. Cavalier King Charles we have heard are prone to ear infection and generally have "Smelly Ears" which smell as soon as soon as you walk through the door. Sounds a bit OTT to me? Maybe the owners should clean them more often?
Also do they moult a lot?
2. Yorkshire Terriers. Do they all have long coats which require trimming or are there long and short coat varieties?
Do they moult/shed a lot, a little or not at all?
3. DL reg. Is it reliable?
Thanks for any help. I just want to be sure I have all the facts right as whatever we decide to buy will be a "dog for life"
regards
Keith

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Slippery_Jim 11 597 England
9 Apr 2009 9:49PM
These links may help

Cavalier King Charles
link

Yorkshire Terriers
link

No idea what a DL reg is
Fishnet 15 5.0k 5 United Kingdom
9 Apr 2009 9:58PM
Personally I would go with a Border Terrier (but then I am biased).

CKC's tend to have a lot of health problems the most common being a heart murmur and also that horrible disease where their brain gets too big for their head. I wouldn't risk the cost.

Yorkshire Terriers I just don't like. I used to work in a dog grooming salon and they have horrible greasy hair like a human's that hasn't been washed, ever, it's put me right off them (plus i just don't like the look of them).

You cannot go wrong with a Border Terrier, fabulous dogs (plenty of pics of my Fergus in my pf)

I don't know what the DL Reg is either.
southsnapper 13 74 United Kingdom
9 Apr 2009 9:59PM
DL = Dog Lovers Registration, it's absolutely worthless, often used to give the impression that a dog is form good stock, sadly, often quite the opposite.
9 Apr 2009 10:01PM
What on earth is that ?????
southsnapper 13 74 United Kingdom
9 Apr 2009 10:03PM
Overread 11 4.1k 19 England
9 Apr 2009 10:03PM
never heard of the ear problem, one and all Cavalier King Charles dogs all snore - one and all (and it can be quite loud!). Aside from that they are wonderful dogs - very affectionate.
As for fur molting I can't recall they they were major molters (certainly nothing on the husky we have now) though there was a reasonable amount of fur as I recall - but a hoover round the house solves that problem quick enough
Slippery_Jim 11 597 England
9 Apr 2009 10:04PM
Personally I'd opt for getting a good old 57 varieties mutt, just as much fun and companionship
9 Apr 2009 10:05PM
Ooh you have a Husky?? I think they are the most beautiful dogs in the world, I really want one but I've heard they are hard to train and can't be trusted off the lead. I've been looking into Northern Inuits and would REALLY love to get one but the time isn't good for us right now Sad

I love dogs me Grin
9 Apr 2009 10:09PM
Did you know Border terriers are nicknamed the Vet's Dog as they are full of character, full of life, incredibly loving, easy to train, robust, hardy and have barely any health problems if any.

I had an engineer round today to look at my boiler and he was totally smitten with Fergus, who followed him around and watched him with fascination as he fixed the radiators to which Poppy (aged 3) said "Fergus wants to be a man and learn how to fix the plumbing" and we all agreed.
Coleslaw 14 13.4k 28 Wales
9 Apr 2009 10:11PM
Generally, you just need to keep those long ears dry and clean. Then it should be fine.

Dogs with long hair normally moult, even golden retriever moults. If you don't want that, get a breed with short hair.

Each breed has their pros and cons. Choose one that suits your life style.

Also, try to adopt rather than buy. Some rescues have got unsold and unwanted puppies from the breeders.
lobsterboy Plus
15 14.9k 13 United Kingdom
9 Apr 2009 10:19PM

Quote:Also, try to adopt rather than buy. Some rescues have got unsold and unwanted puppies from the breeders.

Yup Wink

Or even consider not getting a puppy but a slightly older dog if you don't want to go through all the house training, play bighting, etc.
9 Apr 2009 10:20PM
Thanks everyone, a border terrier was another on my list but I hadn't heard of any problems so didn't ask. Anna your dog is gorgeous but then you knew that already.
regards
Keith
Coleslaw 14 13.4k 28 Wales
9 Apr 2009 10:21PM
yup, though I don't know that is how you spell 'bighting'.Wink
lobsterboy Plus
15 14.9k 13 United Kingdom
9 Apr 2009 10:26PM

Quote:Yup, though I don't know that is how you spell 'bighting'.

It's true - you can't stop puppies tying knots in the middle of ropes.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.