Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PortraitPro 17 with Background Editing Out Now! EXTRA 10% OFF code EPZRS17

Purchasing equipment

AlexE 49 United Kingdom
17 Jun 2017 6:27PM
I was looking at Wex Photographics second hand range. http://www.wexphotographic.com/used/
They seem to have some very good deals but I wondered if anyone had ever used it and what their experience was like. Just I don't want to regret taking the plunge!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

saltireblue Plus
7 7.3k 33 Norway
17 Jun 2017 6:40PM
Wex are a reputable firm with a very good reputation, so I doubt there will be any problems using their used section.
Ray12 Plus
4 132 1 United Kingdom
17 Jun 2017 7:58PM
I can vouch for there 2nd hand equipment 100%
Dave_Canon 11 1.3k United Kingdom
18 Jun 2017 1:55PM
I have only bought new from Wex and Calumet. I recently traded in a camera and lens at the NEC show when buying a new camera and lens from Calumet. The trade in guy was quite thorough in checking my kit which was in excellent condition and he offered a good price. I think whoever eventually bought my kit would have done well. I am confident that companies like Calumet and Wex do offer a good range of second hand kit. You can probably buy something cheaper elsewhere but would not have the confidence or warranty that these companies can offer. Incidentally, I have mentioned both WEX and Calumet as they are about to merge.

Dave
18 Jun 2017 3:00PM
Other good second-hand dealers are Grays of Westminster (only for Nikon) Ffordes, MPB and Robert White.

The first two are particularly strict when it comes to grading and I'm happy to buy anything above "Exc".
Snapper Plus
12 4.3k 3 United States Outlying Islands
18 Jun 2017 3:51PM

Quote:I was looking at Wex Photographics second hand range. http://www.wexphotographic.com/used/
They seem to have some very good deals but I wondered if anyone had ever used it and what their experience was like. Just I don't want to regret taking the plunge!

They have a video describing their condition ratings, so that's worth a look. Wex grade ratings
Carabosse 14 41.0k 269 England
18 Jun 2017 9:07PM
I've been known to buy used equipment off eBay and have never had a problem yet................... famous last words! biggrin-light.jpg

I'm sure with Wex you could be more confident that everything has been checked.
18 Jun 2017 10:17PM
I've had a few faulty items from Fleabay, like lenses with fungus or with oily iris blades.

In every case, either the seller has taken the item back or Paypal has given me a full refund where the seller has been less than co-operative.
18 Jun 2017 11:11PM
Sometimes items are only available on eBay. If you are Nikon user and want one of these just for example! Tongue
18 Jun 2017 11:26PM
Grays did have had one of these and it didn't say in stock for long!
18 Jun 2017 11:32PM
Yes, I remember - could be the very same lens being sold on! Wink

I think Grays price was slightly less?
19 Jun 2017 4:57PM
And if you want a nice (used) Dallmeyer 50mm prime lens, for your Leica rangefinder, it will certainly cost you! shocked-light.jpg

Lens

Some people imagine it's only cheapo stuff that goes on eBay! wink-light.jpg

AlexE 49 United Kingdom
20 Jun 2017 5:36PM
I don't think I'll go for a Dallmeyer 50mm prime lens!Wink

Thanks for all that info:
Alex

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.