Quality of canon 18-55mm ef-s and canon 90-300mm non usm lenses

rod45 16 34 United Kingdom
26 Aug 2007 7:14PM
Hi. I would be grateful for any info/feedback on the following, I have just upgraded from my fuji s9500 (which has had sharpness issues in the past) to a canon 400D which came with a 18-55mm ef-s lens and a canon 90-300mm non usm lens, pleased with the handling of the camera, but the is no way I can get sharp pictures useing either of these lenses, I have tried many different settings within the camera, all my test shots were done on a tripod, trying both auto and manual focus, even my wife,s compact is turning out sharper pics than the canon, has anyone else got the same problem as me, look forward to hearing from you, Rod.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ZenTog 17 7.9k 1 England
26 Aug 2007 7:17PM
you have to remember canon dlsr do not sharpen in camera but let you do it with more control in photoshop
26 Aug 2007 7:23PM
thanks for coming back so quick paul, but even using softwear in pc pics still not good. Rod.
lobsterboy Plus
15 14.9k 13 United Kingdom
26 Aug 2007 7:27PM
When you say using software - exactly what sharpening are you doing ?
catnappin 12 666 United Kingdom
26 Aug 2007 7:30PM
Had exactly the same problem coming off a canon film slr to a 400d .. Answer is as PaulSFrost says , use the unsharp mask in photoshop. Also, shoot RAW and process in Canons own RAW DPP programme (disk supplied with camera).. See my portfolio and look at the first few pics (not sharp at all) and you will see where it changed.
cameracat 15 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
27 Aug 2007 1:27AM

Quote:canon dlsr do not sharpen in camera

Wot no sharpen options, Even in Jpeg and on AUTO......? ? ? or any of the other preset modes on a 400D..........?
Paul Morgan 18 19.3k 6 England
27 Aug 2007 1:46AM

Quote:but the is no way I can get sharp pictures useing either of these lenses

Have you played with the manual focus at all, have a player then compare to auto focused shots.

I`ve never trusted the autofocus of canon.
27 Aug 2007 6:25AM

Quote:When you say using software - exactly what sharpening are you doing ?
I am working in jpeg format, and useing the canon software that came with the camera that has a sharpening facility, but even useing that pics are still not pin sharp.
27 Aug 2007 6:30AM

Quote:Quote:canon dlsr do not sharpen in camera Wot no sharpen options, Even in Jpeg and on AUTO......? ? ? or any of the other preset modes on a 400D..........?
yes the camera has sharpness adjustment within camera menu even with that set to high pics still not sharp, i always work in jpeg. Rod
27 Aug 2007 6:34AM

Quote:Quote:but the is no way I can get sharp pictures useing either of these lensesHave you played with the manual focus at all, have a player then compare to auto focused shots.

I`ve never trusted the autofocus of canon.

Hi Paul, yes i have tried manual and autofocus no difference in pics,Rod.
27 Aug 2007 6:46AM

Quote:Had exactly the same problem coming off a canon film slr to a 400d .. Answer is as PaulSFrost says , use the unsharp mask in photoshop. Also, shoot RAW and process in Canons own RAW DPP programme (disk supplied with camera).. See my portfolio and look at the first few pics (not sharp at all) and you will see where it changed.
Hi, I do not have photoshop, I am useing the canon software that came with the camera, i never work with raw always jpeg, mainly because i enjoy taking photos and not get too envolved with pc work, with my previous digi cameras all i have needed to do on pc is a few tweaks to sharpness--contrast-saturation and i had a good picture, but it its not so with this canon, Rod.
TimJ 15 482 2 United Kingdom
27 Aug 2007 9:40AM
I had the 90-300 (non-usm I think) and got very poor results; images taken with the 90-300 certainly require more sharpening in post processing. I always found images to be dull and lacking contrast too.
cambirder 15 7.2k England
27 Aug 2007 10:21AM
Probably a combination of things, these are certainly not the sharpest of lenses, but you should get good results, if you don't use the things wide open.

Its difficult to advise without seeing an original image. (I have sent you a PM regarding this)
lobsterboy Plus
15 14.9k 13 United Kingdom
27 Aug 2007 12:07PM
A quick way to check sharpness is to download the trial version of Breezebrowser. Select View>High Quality the view>Slideshow this should show you the images full screen with a decent amount of sharpening applied. Then you can easily tell if it is the camera/lens or just that you need to sharpen in a different way.
Paul Morgan 18 19.3k 6 England
27 Aug 2007 2:00PM
Any chance of sampling a second Kit lens, could be faulty.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.