Quality of Polarizer Filters - price differences...???

webjam 15 292 11 Netherlands
17 Oct 2008 6:49PM

Quote: i tried removing my uv`s a while back and wouldnt go back to having them on the front of any of my lenses, unless shotting in something like a sandstorm.

I don't do sandstorms... Smile But I am often to careless with my gear to do without a filter to protect my lenses.
But it is something to think about when I am in a great landscape without any raindrops, sea water, sand or anything else that might disturb the lens.

There is also a great price difference in these UV filters, I just noticed...

Jacqueline

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

andytvcams 16 10.4k 1 United Kingdom
17 Oct 2008 7:10PM

Quote:There is also a great price difference in these UV filters, I just noticed

I use the Hoya pro HMC-LPF UV its expensive but worth it in my book
loweskid 18 2.0k 1 United Kingdom
17 Oct 2008 7:20PM
Worth noting that you can often get the expensive Hoya filters for about half the UK price on ebay, from Hong Kong suppliers. Usually take about a week to arrive. I've bought several items from Hong Kong and never had a problem.

The above applies to the UK - don't know what the situation is like regarding the Netherlands but I can't imagine it would be much different.
17 Oct 2008 7:24PM
Hubbie likes to order from Hong Kong as well. Are these really original Hoya filters then? (Knowing the Hong Kong reputation...)

Jacqueline
loweskid 18 2.0k 1 United Kingdom
17 Oct 2008 7:55PM

Quote:Are these really original Hoya filters then?

I've bought two HMC polarisers from HK recently and they certainly look genuine to me.
17 Oct 2008 8:13PM
That might be worth the try then. Will put Conrad on that. He loves Ebay.

Jacqueline
conrad 15 10.9k 116
17 Oct 2008 8:51PM

Quote:Will put Conrad on that. He loves Ebay.

Big fan, yes. Smile
LenShepherd 11 4.0k United Kingdom
18 Oct 2008 9:47PM

Quote:Despite the fact that Conrad already has a Sigma 10-20 mm lens, I am going to buy one myself too.

On a point of perhaps important detail the maximum angle of view with the sun exactly over your shoulder for an even pol effect is equivalent to (24x36 format) 35mm for colour enhancement (including blue skies) and 28mm for reflections for subjects parallel to the sensor i.e. most landscapes.
Outside these lens angles the pol effect rapidly falls of to a point (if the lens is wide enough) where the original scene contrast is degraded.
An even pol effect is just about possible at 20mm with a cropped sensor, and impossible at 10mm.
Sure - you can get a pol to fit a 10-20 - but you cannot buy one that gives an even pol effect across the frame for landscape work at 10mm.
Graywolf 12 1.0k United Kingdom
19 Oct 2008 9:47AM

Quote:but you cannot buy one that gives an even pol effect across the frame for landscape work at 10mm.

Yes. I've had quite few problems with polarizing filters on my 10 - 20 for this very reason. In fact on the occasions when I do use it I rarely bother with a CPL

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.