WEX Offer: Save £50 On The Olympus OM-D E-M1X

Question: Sony Vs Canon

soldier1809 11 16
10 Feb 2009 9:31AM
Hi all
I would ask about the difference between Sony DSLR-A300K and Canon EOS 1000D, what is the bad and the good between both.
If we make a test from 10, what each camera will gain from the test and as a conclusion which camera win the prize(the best)?
strawman 16 22.1k 16 United Kingdom
10 Feb 2009 9:44AM
Soldier, I notice you have posted a lot of which is best questions. Is it time instead to post this is what I want to do, this is my budget, what are the options?

To be honest to judge an SLR you need to test it with lenses and decide what is important to you. There are no lemon's to my knowledge in the market and what will make a good camera for one person will not work for another.

So what are your interests, and what is your budget.
guidoa 19 1.4k United Kingdom
10 Feb 2009 10:27AM
In general, every day people ask is this camera better than this one, what are the good points/bad points, etc surely the answer is for them to read the independent reviews of the camera they are interested in, go to a retailer and handle it and make up their own minds. In my opinion it is just laziness which prompts these questions.
Metalhead 13 1.9k 2 England
10 Feb 2009 10:34AM
Well said, Guidoa. Not that there's anything wrong with asking questions to get opinions too, but people tend to favour what they're using over the possible alternatives.

Am I the only person who didn't go to a shop and hold all the cameras I was interested in? I read up a lot on the Nikons, Canons and the like, and at the time the 400D ticked all my boxes as a beginner to DSLRs, so I bought it without even seeing it "in the flesh". I wasn't and never have been disappointed with my choice. In fact, I've held some Nikons since my purchase and still feel I made the right decision with the Canon.

Can't say that way would work for everyone, but as pointed out above there's not that much difference in most of the entry level DSLRs at the moment, so go on Soldier, make a purchase. I'm sure you won''t be disappointed with whatever you choose! Smile
Carabosse 17 41.5k 270 England
10 Feb 2009 11:23AM

Quote:Hi all
I would ask about the difference between Sony DSLR-A300K and Canon EOS 1000D, what is the bad and the good between both.
If we make a test from 10, what each camera will gain from the test and as a conclusion which camera win the prize(the best)?

Have you read reviews on both these cameras? There are reviews on this site and on others which should give you much of the information you want. That should be your first step.

I would hazard a guess that nobody on this site owns both these cameras so if, you are asking for people's personal experience with them, you are wasting your time I'm afraid.

If you are still confused about something after reading the reviews then by all means ask questions to clarify.
RogBrown 13 3.1k 10 England
10 Feb 2009 2:36PM

Quote:Anyway buy the Canon one

Naaah. Sony! Smile
geoffrey baker 16 501 1 Wales
10 Feb 2009 5:36PM
I don't know about the Canon but my Sony A350 is brilliant. I think I saw it advertised new for about £250 the other day, what a bargain.
GreyMoonRising 12 1.5k 1
10 Feb 2009 6:03PM
Only one way to really find out what model you prefer is to get into your local camera shop and try them out.

(Sony)
jondf 14 2.8k
10 Feb 2009 6:20PM

Quote:I would ask about the difference between Sony DSLR-A300K and Canon EOS 1000D

Seems you're not alone. Some of these may be of interest. And this and this although the Sony test is the A300 model.
JGJ 14 74 United Kingdom
10 Feb 2009 6:24PM

Quote:Only one way to really find out what model you prefer is to get into your local camera shop and try them out.

Trouble is that there are not too many local camera shops left. As said by 'strawman' let us know your interests and budget and as CB says 'read the reviews' - John
GreyMoonRising 12 1.5k 1
10 Feb 2009 6:32PM
In the meantime there are no really bad DSLRs any more...and the Sony Alpha range can key into the older AF D range of Minolta lenses until Sony start coming up with the goods.
11 Feb 2009 8:14PM
the 1000D is a slated, the sony is far superior (not to offend canon owners, im onyl offending the 1000D) the 1000D is a inferior model to even the most entry level SLR's. if i was you i would get the a300. i have it and its a fantastic piece of kit. if theres any questions please PM me.
strawman 16 22.1k 16 United Kingdom
11 Feb 2009 9:40PM
Master trinity, it is much closer than you state.

The inferior kit as you call it has the better high ISO noise performance and the better for macro and landscape liveview, and has the bigger lens range, plus come bundled with an optically better image stabilised kit lens, though with less of a zoom range.

The A300 has the better for hand holding liveview, (probably suits candids and shooting at funny angles). And a bit faster frame rate with RAW.

So I can see reasons for picking either as the best buy, but it would be foolish to deny that each has moments when they are superior to the other.
soldier1809 11 16
12 Feb 2009 3:09AM
Dear guys
I am thankful for yours replies and answers and I respect all the opinion described, I would like to answer every guy but remember I am only a beginner
Reply for Mr. strawman : My budget is about 550$(plus or minus) and my interest in photographic techniques.
Replay for Mr. guidoa : I respect your opinion but I am not lazy!!! I read many article about the two cameras and also I am reading a book related to digital photography, but when I ask because you may be try many camera and have an experience while me have almost zero or very few knowledge in DSLR world.
Replay for Mr. Carabosse : I read many article about both cameras, but since I didnít try any one of them I canít judge which is the best.
Other members: tanks all for your answers
MeanGreeny 15 3.7k England
12 Feb 2009 8:12AM
Try to think a little in terms of the system you are investing in rather than focusing solely on the individual camera.

You are currently [I think] buying a 'relatively inexpensive' camera and kit lens.

In a couple of years - if your interest is the same - you will probably want to invest in better glass, which is always the smart thing to do. Quality glass rarely goes out of fashion.

Some time after that you will realise the glass is better than the camera you are using and you will want to upgrade it. After all, technology has moved on soooooo much since Feb 2009.

Get the idea ? It's a system you are investing in - not a single camera - as long as you remain a keen photographer, your question will crop up every couple or three of years or so.

One thing I have found is that, whatever camera/lens I buy it is usually of better quality than I am.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.