Christmas Prize Draw 2017

Question of supplier

LenShepherd 10 3.8k United Kingdom
21 Nov 2018 9:59PM

Quote:Nothing wrong with grey imports,.

Providing import duties are paid. Often in the small print of the terms and conditions the buyer agrees to do this.

If taxes are not paid, although rarely enforced, you do not legally own what you have paid for, Customs and Excise can take possession of it at any time, and as you do not own it if there is an insurance claim the insures can refuse payment.

If buying from Amazon USA the price starts similar to Grey importers, Amazon then add on estimated import taxes usually bringing prices too similar to UK official imports. Amazon also agree if they charged too much tax they will make a refund and if they charge too little they will pay the extra duty.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

thewilliam2 1 1.0k
23 Nov 2018 11:08AM
Mostly, we can get away with not paying import duty, but there's a new risk every time we bring the item back into the country as one colleague found out. The Customs Officer must have been having a bad day because he checked the equipment serial numbers against an official UK import database. One lens had been bought in Hong Kong and no duty had been paid so my colleague was stung for duty and VAT at the full UK RRP. When he protested, the option was confiscation of the lens!.
ARI 16 527 United Kingdom
30 Nov 2018 4:12PM
I have done the deed with EOW. Massive saving of 80-100% when compared with std high st prices. Wow is also making a profit.
I believe that as we Grits do not complain where it hurts, ie profits, importers charge what they like and blame iy all on taxes. I have imported grey goods in the past from Digital Rev (Homg Kong) and B&H, Adorama (New York), paid shipping, import tax and VAT, so have an idea as what to expect. Atill is massive saving.
For this camera, I shopped around for 64GB CF memory cards. Saw Sandidk CF cardd advertised for 58/ and put them in the shopping basket withe intent to monitor the price. BEHOL....some 12 hour later price jumps to 75. Stock levels did not change. Needless to say there will be more purchases abroad from me.
I love to support UK retailers, but not no be taken advantage of. I have heard the UK described as 'treasure island' due to our placid attitudes.
End of rant and thank you for your patience.
Snapper Plus
13 4.4k 3 United States Outlying Islands
30 Nov 2018 5:07PM

Quote:I have done the deed with EOW. Massive saving of 80-100% when compared with std high st prices. Wow is also making a profit.
I believe that as we Grits do not complain where it hurts, ie profits, importers charge what they like and blame iy all on taxes.

A saving of 80% would give you a price of 519.80 compared to the British companies selling it at 2599 (according to Camera Pricebuster). Saving 100% would have meant you getting it for nothing! Wink
30 Nov 2018 5:38PM
I has placed six SanDisk Extreme Pro cards in the basket. Moral is buy elsewhere.
30 Nov 2018 6:16PM

Quote:Iand B&H, Adorama (New York), paid shipping, import tax and VAT, so have an idea as what to expect. Atill is massive saving.

Sorry - I think you are looking through rose coloured spectacles about USA prices in general.
USA prices are excluding State and City Taxes.
After allowing for VAT about 80% of photographic goods prices are similar in UK and USA, about 15% are significantly more in USA and about 5% are more in the UK.

This is not the same as saying you cannot sometimes buy cheaper from outside UK, or that you cannot get away with not paying UK VAT.

Regarding your "cheaper" CF cards - did they have the same write and read speeds?
6 Dec 2018 2:45PM
My post is to inform readers of Actual experience and Actual saving, very different from suggested rose colored expectations. My purchase of the 5DS R included all the taxs. My past purchases of equipment from Hong Kong and New York retailers included all taxs and still there were massive savings. Tax and VAT is bsed on the prices set by importers, when customers do not vote with their feet, there is no incentive but to hig prices. So until such times come, for me at lest grey products rule as it makes our hobby affordable and pleasurable.
6 Dec 2018 6:56PM

Quote:My post is to inform readers of Actual experience and Actual saving, very different from suggested rose colored expectations. My purchase of the 5DS R included all the taxs. My past purchases of equipment from Hong Kong and New York retailers included all taxs and still there were massive savings. Tax and VAT is bsed on the prices set by importers, when customers do not vote with their feet, there is no incentive but to hig prices. So until such times come, for me at lest grey products rule as it makes our hobby affordable and pleasurable.

Hong Kong sales are generally conditional on the buyer paying import taxes, or occasionally the courier collecting taxes as an extra on delivery.
Some magazines quote USA & UK prices side by side - which show a different result to yours.
When I have tried to buy from B&H, once UK taxes are added the price has been higher than UK official imports with UK warranty.
When I have tried to buy from Amazon USA they quote import taxes as an extra and the final price has worked out at more than buying UK official imports with UK warranty.
I am not saying there are no occasional bargains just as there occasionally are in UK.
I have a friend who ordered a 1,500 item from Hong Kong via debit card. The goods failed to arrive for several weeks - until after the deadline for a debit card reverse transfer. The Hong Kong firm then stopped trading leaving my friend with a 1,500 loss.
Buying official UK imports, taxes paid, with a UK credit card and our Distance Selling Regulations Protection for purchases within the UK removes a lot of potential risk.
6 Dec 2018 11:55PM

At the end of the day you you make your choice and pays your money. I do not wholly buy yr arguements as it is inporters who set prices that are based on what sales departments belieeve the market will bear. Importers' reps do trawl websites like this to gauge public opinion. The UK public is generally very tolerant, they may grumble but are often reluctant to ote with their feet. So what is the incentive to lower prices. Comments of obtaining goods from alternate suppliers are discouraged by apologists who try to justify hig prices. My eyes were opened some years ago when I bought a new 60h0mm f4 lens from an individual who imported the lens as a grey import and sold it on. The saings was 40 % and was om par with the price of buying it from B&H and adding all taxs and sipping. I approaced a few pro suppliers with a request to price matc .h. All declined, but one salled me the following day with a deal, I buy the item from them but it would be supplied directly from the manufacturer. As there was nothing to lose, I went ahead and have many satisfying years with several tens of tousands of pictures.
I am not a pro photog nor ave I sold a single picture, just passionate about taking pictures. I also do no not care for the reasons as to why goods are cheaper as long as they are genuine, affordable and legal..
7 Dec 2018 9:39AM

Quote:
At the end of the day you you make your choice and pays your money. I do not wholly buy yr arguements as it is inporters who set prices that are based on what sales departments belieeve the market will bear. (snipped)
I also do no not care for the reasons as to why goods are cheaper as long as they are genuine, affordable and legal..

As I said before I can find not the slightest shred of evidence that what you claim to be the position is reflected in USA, UK, and Hong Kong "no tax paid" items once tax is paid.
I do not disagree that some new items at launch are priced slightly higher in USA than UK, though prices in UK are discounted sooner and deeper in UK.
As a rule of thumb many fast aperture lenses and some flash units are priced around 20% higher in USA.
As to goods from Hong Kong - the suppliers are not in the EEC - and if the carrier does not collect VAT (and import duty on lenses) on delivery, for the goods to be legally owned by the buyer, the buyer has to contact Customs and Excise to pay the VAT.
I recently bought a new lens costing 3,699 in UK. It was $3,599 in USA when the US$ was worth 14% less than the pound, thus appearing cheaper in USA - excluding UK taxes. After approximately 6% UK lens import duty and 20% VAT it would have cost more than buying in UK.
Just before Christmas last year a UK retailer had one Nikon 400mm f2.8 new ar one third off list price. My guess is the dealer needed the cash and sold at maybe even a loss. This aspect does not matter - it was a once off bargain for whoever raised the approximately 7,000.
We can discuss "reality" forever.
This is my last comment to you on the topic.
In an extremely in a very competitive market I am satisfied prices in USA, UK and Hong Kong are generally broadly close - if UK taxes are paid.
7 Dec 2018 12:09PM
This thread is starting to become tedious, much like the Brexit discussion. It does not matter a shread to me if what I say is believed ot not. Shareing iews such as mine are anethema to vested intrests. I have obtained all my kit, bar one item from grey sources with savings that allowed me to do other things. I have not had any problems with any purchase. Vested intrests will argue the advantages of paying the inflated peice, but for what? Remember that the importer sets the price of the item. Tax and VAT is then calculated on that price. So when the importer feels that the market will tolerate a igh price, hence higher profit margins, good. If the market continues to tolerate this, even better. Rith the internet available, readers can compare and contrast prices and value for the money. I researched the price of the 5DS R, and paid 1650 although it could be had for 1500 from eBa. Compare this with typical UK price of 2500-3200! Te savings is subsrancial.
I started the thread to assertain the reliability of a couple of readerss. I was aware that theywere grey importers> nI have purchased and imported camera bodies from B&H and Adorama in the US and DigitalRev in Hong Kong. These are not disreputable retailers but I felt like using a one stop shop with comparable and hassle free prices wnere I did not have to deals each aspect of , ie, tax, shipping, VAT, customs clearance, etc. If one stop shop grey imprters were not available, I would not hesitate to import iy personally as the savings made it worthwhile.
I look fwd to putting this camera throug its paces and its specs will force some sloppy practices out of me. The original 5D allowed me to get away with some poor practice on the basos of as needs must.
Thank you all for the discussion.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.