The Totally Tamron Website Is Back! Visit Today For All Things Tamron

Question or advice needed?

Chris_L 6 5.4k United Kingdom
22 Dec 2019 11:30PM
I know what you mean WhatRiverIsThis but you were first to question the advice given by jestertheclown, then despite others including a moderator and including me agreeing with the point of view that the OP should not be put off by what had been said by jestertheclown he persisted. To not contradict bad advice means you allow it to stand for the OP to read and for others browsing the forums to take in.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

23 Dec 2019 12:19AM
Please read what I said. I did not question his advice, I briefly tried to flesh it out a little with the information I had come across. It did not contradict or question what he had said, and if you were to read his response carefully you would see that in fact he agreed with my understanding, and merely pointed out, correctly, that there are different schools of thought on the subject.
So it was not I who started the argument, and nor did I enter into it, as I made no further comment of any kind.
Chris_L 6 5.4k United Kingdom
23 Dec 2019 2:32AM
Ah, right I misunderstood, when he suggested that not being able to switch the stabilisation off when using a tripod might be an issue you agreed with him by saying it's not an issue. Sorry for misunderstanding your comment.
23 Dec 2019 4:10AM
Now you’re just being silly. Grow up.
LenShepherd 11 4.1k United Kingdom
9 Jan 2020 8:06AM
Back to the original question - the now available for £999 Nikon D50 crop sensor with lenses from 24mm to 375mm (FX angle of view) seems worth serious investigation for someone with a preference for Nikon equipment.

The equipment is small and lightweight - relying reasonably on good ISO performance to offset f5.6 lenses.

A downside if you want to use other Nikon F mount lenses the 2 lens package is it does not include the FTZ to mount F lenses on a Z body.

Turning to the sub thread of in lens VR/IS on or off - an advantage rarely mentioned is when hand holding it helps better keep an AF point on an intended subject, though at faster than 1/500 it does very little to reduce camera shake.

Some lenses automatically detect when the camera is on a tripod and have algorithms to handle lower levels of camera shake.

Nikon's current advice on tripod mode VR in many recent Nikon Lenses is you should get the best results using an "average tripod" or in situations like lots of side wind, and you may get better results with it off in very stable shooting conditions such as in a studio using a substantial tripod.
In other words - do your own tests to find out what works best the way you intend to shoot.
Westham1 New Member 1
9 Jan 2020 1:28PM
I have a tamron 150-600mm lens not the g2 version can anyone recommend a teleconverter for this product
LenShepherd 11 4.1k United Kingdom
10 Jan 2020 9:46AM

Quote:I have a tamron 150-600mm lens not the g2 version can anyone recommend a teleconverter for this product

This question could be better as a new thread - as this lens is far from lightweight and compact in the context of the original post.
One issue is getting AF to work as, being f6.3 at 600mm without a converter, and around f9 with a 1.4x converter - most in camera AF is unlikely to work with an f9 combination..
peterjones 17 4.9k 1 United Kingdom
11 Jan 2020 4:29PM
@ the OP I have and use both the lenses that you propose: the 70-300 is more than adequate at close to medium distances however the 300mm is in a class of it's own re quality, it shows its edge when taking and then cropping at long distance but of course lacks versatility, your choice .... good luck!
As for using a teleconverter with a zoom, I wouldn't, I have and use the Tamron 150-600 G2, it gives me quality results but I would rather crop than use a teleconverter.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.