Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

RANT: Why I HATE BT!!

mogwyth 17 358
15 Mar 2005 11:35AM
My whinge about BT

I have 2 daughters each with their own computer plus my own. With their growing homework needs and I run a website for the local community, I decided that broadband would solve the problem of only one slow dial up connection.

We signed up for broadband with BT, we were told that service was subject to survey but that we should be connected on x date and the equipment will be delivered on that date. We never received any further communication and the equipment duly arrived, but no broadband. Several very long phone calls later elicited the information that because it was a shared line (DACS Box), the overhead cable had to be upgraded and this would be done in the next few days. This was the start of a large number of phone calls to be BT over 6 weeks and very few back, nearly every time we were given a differing reason and a new time for the work to be done. Eventually we were told the cost of the work exceeded the limit on such work. Why because they now needed to replace poles, which they deem to unsafe for their engineers to work on, before they can put the new cable up and to add insult to injury they said that even if we were willing to pay for the work, they were not willing to carry out the work!!!!!!!!!!

BT Wholesale have a limitation of 1100 for the cost of provision, if the work exceeds this amount you have to pay the additional costs if. But it does not end there this assumes that they are willing to do the work.

The thing that really annoys me is that these posts are unsafe for their engineers but safe for my children to play near and ours and our neighbours animals to graze near. Also that this is a maintenance issue not necessary work for the provision of broadband, how do they anticipate repairing the line should it be damaged in the regular high winds that blow down from the mountains here, bearing in mind the line already hangs down between the poles rather than stretched between them.

Rant over.

Signed up to onspeed.com, uses compression algarothims to speed download speed, works pretty well.
ruralscotland 16 1.3k
15 Mar 2005 12:00PM
With regards to the BT Line rental, you CAN actually get rid of this, but I don't want to sell on here!!
c_evans99 17 7.0k 1 Wales
16 Mar 2005 2:12PM
Broadband? Pah!

I signed up after BT started calling me in work and my dial up speed dropped to 32K. Tried to login this afternoon at 5:30, connected, could see the mail server but could get no web access, except to BT's own pages and very, very slowly (thought I was back in 1994).

Lodged a support call with their software five hours ago, still no response. Went to their website, filled in a complaint form, submitted it and it was rejected, no reason given.

Used another dial up ISP. Went back to the complaint form, rejected once again. Clicked on the 'talk to us' link, page not found. No contact telephone numbers at all except a premium rate support line which cannot be used for broadband enquiries.

Shall be phoning regular cusromer support in the morning to cancel my contract as unfit for the purpose which it was sold.

Ceri
ellis rowell 17 2.0k United Kingdom
16 Mar 2005 2:33PM
Mogwith,

You mentioned mountains in your post. I know there can be problems in outlying areas, but this might amuse you.

Travelling in Scotland, I pulled up for a Pee on the side of the road. Walked over toward the fence and when I looked down there was what appeared to be a thin black snake in the grass. It didn't move and I got curious, looked more closely only to find that it was a telephone cable about as thick as my finger. It was just laid on top of the ground.
16 Mar 2005 2:58PM
Woo hoo! A response at last... a cut and paste message about connection speeds.

Ceri
cambirder 17 7.2k England
16 Mar 2005 3:07PM
Hi Ceri

If you need it the 24 hour fault number is 0845 600 7030

I'm not surprised that it's not fixed after 5 hours, unless you have a nice expensive business package that gives a garanteed response time then then you have the following fault cover.

Although we attempt to provide you with the best possible service, we cannot guarantee that the service will never be faulty. However, we will correct all reported faults as soon as we reasonably can

If you have a fault on the line then the target is by the end of the next working day.

I think you will find this a typical fault response across all providers to domestic customers.

Hope you get it sorted soon
16 Mar 2005 3:37PM
Update: two links on the cut paste both result in 'page not found' AARGH! No response from them for tha last half hour... I need to go to bed to get up for work in the morning...on a support desk for a mainframe system with users in the UK, New York, Bangalore and Canberra...

I don't really need broadband, I'm just going to cancel this (and they can whistle for the contract period), and go back to dial up with another ISP.

Ceri

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.